RE: My opinion

i have to admit that i've been deleting a lot of  messages without reading
them over the past couple of days, so forgive me if i'm repeating everyone
else, but i felt it necessary to say something.

amyromania said:
> > with the minorities anyway. :-)   They don't have seperate places for
> > minorities and majorities any more.

kyle replied:
>that's what they like you to think :)  unfortunately, in a lot of places,
>segregation is not by law but by residency requirements/voting districts.
>so don't tell me implicit segregation is not part of american society.

i never thought i'd see the day that i agree with kyle so wholeheartedly!
even in cincinnati, a city in which the election results have not been up
for national debate, the discrepancies are too glaring to ignore.  the
voting district lines were redrawn, primarily affecting neighborhoods where
lower-income and minority residents live.  the new voting locations were not
mailed to most people, resulting in a lot of voters showing up at the wrong
place, with no time or vehicle for going to the new location.  at a number
of locations (again, in the poorer neighborhoods), ballots ran out quickly,
and people were told to write their votes on a piece of paper or go across
the city to the board of elections--again, a trip that not everyone was able
to take.  an entire chunk of people who registered to vote at the public
library had their registrations lost, which meant that they showed up at the
polls only to be told that they couldn't vote.
of course, none of this should be surprising in a system that is clearly
biased against the economically disadvantaged...

that is all,
amyjoy