RE: Call for a re-vote.

> and my main point is that we have SOOO many safeguards in this country
> for the most remote chances of error (kids being forced to wear helmets
> while they bike around the block comes to mind) but our system for
> voting is rife with potholes.  All those machines are piles of shit.

Which is why we don't use machines in Canada.  :)

> It was never much a problem since the two main parties used to have very
> different platforms . . .

Never?  Why, then, is everyone running articles now on how Richard Nixon
graciously conceded defeat in 1960 even though there was evidence to
suggest the Democrats had rigged that particularly close election?  (It's
interesting to observe that the father of Gore's current campaign manager
was involved back then, on Kennedy's side of the equation of course.)

That's one of the weird things about this election.  Gore just may succeed
in making Nixon look pretty good.  If Nixon had gotten his lawyers and
everybody else involved in 1960 and made a big constitutional stink, would
he have been elected in 1968 (which was also a pretty close election)?

Gore's young.  His best chance of becoming president may be to concede
defeat, sit back for four or eight years, wait 'til the economy turns sour
for Bush, or some such thing, and then run for the presidency again.

--- Peter T. Chattaway ------------------------ petert at interchg_ubc.ca ---