Re: U2's ATYCLB, SDRE, and Anton Corbijn

At 01:51 AM 10/31/00 -0500, Alfred B Johnson wrote:
>Hello.  1:30 AM.  Just listened to the new U2 album,
>"All That You Can't Leave Behind." ...Feels like a
>bunch of old friends.  Overwhelmingly positive
>lyrically, so hardcore cynics should prolly stay
>home.  I got the limited edition with the song
>"Summer Rain" inside as a separate disc.  It's also
>great.  I wd trade it for track 10 on the album, but
>that's okay.

i kinda like "New York."  i'd trade "Summer Rain" for
"Beautiful Day" or "Stuck in a Moment..."  i'm on my
third listen now.  the first two tracks are growing
on me, but i think those are the weakest ones for me,
for now.  "BD" reminds me too much of some stuff that
i didn't necessarily like from POP.  it's still good,
though.

favs right now are: "Walk On," "Kite," and "Grace."
i'm sure that's bound to change after 4 listens.
again after 5.  6.  7.  et cetera.

>It's really an album for a sunny day.  A first day
>of summer kind of album.  But also other days would
>work.

yeah, not much of a halloween album.  Fear Factory,
Fantomas, Meshuggah, Slipnot, or even Mr. Bungle
are better "halloween albums."

any U2 is just a good *any* day album.

>Speaking of sunny days, I saw Sunny Day Real Est
>this past weekend, and you should all hear this
>band.

yes, indeed.  i'm glad that i asked about them a
month or two ago.  i borrowed an album from Megan
(thanks a bunch!), and then picked up Diary and
The Rising Tide a few weeks before the show.

great show!!  they are really good, and the opener
(Euphone) was really cool, too.  excellent drummer
and cool guitarist/xylophonist. :)

>Some people are saying Bono's voice has weakened
>with age.  I think he has more control over it.
>He can't holler like in '84, but now he can do
>things he couldn't do then.

yeah, he's not the studmuffin-rockstar that he
was even on the ZooTV tour, but he's still got
the stuff to get the job done well.

>The case for the double disc/limited edition of
>ATYCLB is poorly made.  The little flippy thing
>doesn't stay in.  You know.  The flippy thing.

seriously crappy flippiness, i agree.  when i was
opening my CD in the parking lot of circuit city,
the damn tray fell out.  i caught it before it hit
the cement.  but, it *is* cheaply made.

>The packaging indicates that Bono and the lads
>will be wearing all black this season.

makes 'em look thinner- the guys, not the packaging.

>[Bruce Lachey was not] thanked in the credits.

(sorry about the paraphrase, fred)

speaking of liner notes, was Anton Corbijn the
guy who did Achtung Baby photo shoots?

(scurrying off to check)

yes, it was.  hmm... seems like all of this photo
shoots that i've seen are all in the same vein
(Achtung Baby, Metallica's "Load," and this new
U2).  does Anton know any other styles of band
photos?

just wondering if anybody knows of anything else
he's done.  differently, that is.

for me it was a fall,
Dan

np: u2 - all that you can't fit into your carry-on luggage

+-  Dan Temmesfeld   -  dtemm(at)yahoo(dot)com  -+
 'surely all art is the result of having been in
 danger, of having gone through an experience all
 the way to the end, to where no one can go any
+-       further...' (rainer maria rilke)       -+