All That You Can't Leave Behind

Hello.  1:30 AM.  Just listened to the new U2 album, "All That You Can't
Leave Behind."  It's all that.  All that.  Feels like a bunch of old
friends.  Overwhelmingly positive lyrically, so hardcore cynics should
prolly stay home.  I got the limited edition with the song "Summer Rain"
inside as a separate disc.  It's also great.  I wd trade it for track 10
on the album, but that's okay.  There are songs that feel almost alt
country, and I can imagine Lucinda Williams singing them (see "Wild
Honey").  There are songs that sound almost soul, and I can imagine Al
Green singing them.  Like that.  But it all sounds like U2.

It's really an album for a sunny day.  A first day of summer kind of
album.  But also other days would work.

Speaking of sunny days, I saw Sunny Day Real Estate this past weekend,
and you should all hear this band.

Some people are saying Bono's voice has weakened with age.  I think he
has more control over it.  He can't holler like in '84, but now he can do
things he couldn't do then.

The case for the double disc/limited edition of ATYCLB is poorly made.
The little flippy thing doesn't stay in.  You know.  The flippy thing.

Brain Eno, Daniel Lanois, and Steve Lilly white were all involved in
production at some point.  And Jimmy Iovine is running Interscope, the
label U2 has moved to.  Thus, the big four U2 producers are all involved,
which I mention as trivia.

The packaging indicates that Bono and the lads will be wearing all black
this season.

Wim Wenders, Seamus Heaney, Salman Rushdie, Billy Corgan, and John
Kennedy are thanked in the credits.

I don't know if it's that John Kennedy.

And now I will sleep.

Fred

PS: This album will be shelved in my collection next to the Linford
Detweiler album, I Don't Think There's No Need to Bring Nothin'.  I can't
think of any more proper place for All That You Can't Leave Behind.