Re: OT: All That You Can't Leave Behind

> Hello.  1:30 AM.  Just listened to the new U2 album,
> "All That You Can't Leave Behind."

glad to hear i'm not the only one obsessed.  was
outside the local record store at midnight, fighting
off all the godsmack and outkast and jay-z fans to get
my hands on this disc.  drove home and sat outside
under the chilled autumn stars with a blanket and a
cup of hot cider and a sense of anticipation.

> It's all that.  All that.  Feels like a bunch of old
> friends.

i'd agree with that.  still haven't listened to it
enough to give it a complete review, but i found
myself lost in the music several times.

> I got the limited edition with the song "Summer
Rain"
> inside as a separate disc.  It's also great.  I wd
> trade it for track 10 on the album, but that's okay.

i'd probably agree with that, though the chorus of new
york reminds me of U2 circa october.  i can just
imagine bono singing rejoice instead of new york.

> There are songs that feel almost alt country, and I
> can imagine Lucinda Williams singing them (see "Wild
> Honey").  There are songs that sound almost soul,
> and I can imagine Al Green singing them.  Like that.

> But it all sounds like U2.

this is why U2 is one of my favorite bands.  they have
been all over the musical landscape, but somehow they
are able to always sound like themselves, to not lose
their identity.

> The case for the double disc/limited edition of
> ATYCLB is poorly made. The little flippy thing
> doesn't stay in.  You know. The flippy thing.

yeah, i noticed that too.  my whole tray just kind of
came out.  i'm glad i got the extra disc, though.
great song - though because it's by itself it makes it
hard to listen to.

thanks for letting me waste time at work.  Æ

=====
vocatus atque non vocatus Deus aderit