Re: god and felicity and meandering TV topics

I forgot to note who said this:
<< You would think that, but Christians still find a great
 >need in their life to spend larger amounts of time and
 >money buying Christian music, Christian Romance novels,
 >Christian backpacks and bracelets. >>

just to be argumentative myself, I find blanket statements like this, even
when not meant as a blanket statement extremely off-putting.  There are a
vast number of Christians, like myself, within and without the arts, who find
the pabulum that passes for *Christian* culture to be mediocre at best, just
plain garbage at norm - not even the worst.  The worst don't even have a name
it's so bad.
  I have no need in my life to purchase or buy into any of this crap thank
you very much and I do not
like to be lumped into these molds.  Molds are for those who like to see
people in simplistic blacks and whites and don't dig into the hard earth
where we all live.  I don't suppose you'd like to be put into the mold of
someone who thinks shallowly enough to judge the depths of a persons soul by
some simple catch phrase.
  We should applaud good art where we see it, secular or religious.  We
should call crap crap when we see it, secular or religious.  We should Not
call artists bad because they are secular or religious.  Everyone deserves to
be judged on their merits as an artist not on their spiritual persuasion.
  There is much by Christians, or within a Christian ethos, in the arts that
is outstanding work by any definition of the word.  It just usually doesn't
come from within the Christian *ghetto* because that, for numerous reasons,
is a very restricting creative atmosphere.  In the poetic field alone you
have Denise Levertov, Andrew Hudgins, Rupert Loydell,  Wendell Berry, Scott
Cairns, John Leax, Paul Mariani, David Middleton, Richard Wilbur, Kathleen
Norris, Annie Dillard, Daniel Berrigan, to name a few contemporaries.  Just
pick up an issue of Image journal if you want more proof.
  I know this has probably been hashed over here before but I don't think a
little reiteration ever hurt anyone.  Sorry if my tone is a little strong but
I'm just tired of hearing that all Christians taste and the art they produce
is crap.  Save that one for Linford and Karin.

grace and peace all,
Kevin (maybe just had a bad day)