like a kid on a bull in a china candy shop.

{this post is not OtR-related, at all.  but good music-
related, or at least i'd like to believe so... well, at
least, this is where i like to hang out internet-wise,
and i like sharing here.  maybe it sort of relates to
the "art vs not art" topic.  maybe it doesn't- anyway.}

10.03.00-
today i picked up the highly anticipated, newly releasd
cd by radiohead, "kid a."  i'm on my third listen now.

i am perplexed, but not really.  i knew it would be
different, but i wasn't sure what to expect.  i knew to
expect something fundamentally different, but it still
hit me blindside.  the fact that they're NOT touring
the US for it, NOT releasing a single, NOT releasing a
video, but they are releasing a dozen 30-second video
"blips" for it- well, that baffles me as well.  it's
fun to see when a band takes control, makes the album
that they want to make, shuns the bullocks of modern
media savages of commerciality and accessibility, and
put out something that they are very pleased with as
artists and musicians.

this is quite possibly the best "not-rock" CD i've
purchased lately.  i know that after about 10 listens,
it's gonna hit me like a ton of bricks.  it took me
about that amount of time for "ok computer" (a more
"standard" "rock album") to hit me.

anyway, did anyone else pick up this piece yet?
thoughts?

i'm quite struck with "everything is in its right
place."  other early favs are "national anthem," "how
to disappear completely and never be found again,"
"optimistic," and "idioteque."  overall things took a
drastically ambient, lack of guitar turn since 1997.
i like it, though.

there are still remaining pieces of radioheadesence on
it.  "cerebral and haunting, sweeping and fierce" as i
read it in a music rag.  yet truly epically ambient,
moody and bewildering- but in a way like no other RH
disc yet.

heavy rotation.  it will be soon.

standing in the shadows at the end of my bed.

night-night,
Dan

np: radiohead - kid a

+- Dan Temmesfeld - dantemm(at)netzero(dot)net -+
 _Galactic Cowboys  -  http://www.dlm.net/gc/ _
    wish i could whisper how much i need you
+- after tomorrow i might forget to  (kingsx) -+