Re: Chris Donahue

>     Good God, you thought he had a strength?  I thought his lyrics were as
>revolting as his music was tedious.  The majority of his songs seemed to be
>about prostitutes, which was a lot more than I wanted to know about his
>love
>life.

     This should have a cross-reference to the thread about art
for the sake of art or should it be commercial enough to
entertain
those who really came for the next act.  Maurice Mattei
reminded
me a lot of the extra effort of Bob Dylan to tell a story
rather
than to relax after enough syllables to fill a predefined number
of beats that everyone has become accustomed to hearing
about.

     I respect the fact that not everyone in the audience was enthused.
Feeling brand loyalty to Over-the-Rhine does not mean we
are committed
to loyalty for their taste in listening or art or even their
opening acts.  People who like poetry would be more likely
to like
Maurice than would people who do not listen to poetry.

--Rick C