rap is good (was Re: Blue Jordan review)

Kelvin wrote:
>So this is where I either
>a) Hang my head in shame and say "You're right, Mr. Emery."
>I fell for the hype.  Much like those who fall for the "rap
>is music" hype.  I'll be more careful next time.

ack!  while i'll admit that most of the rap in the charts (on MTV TRL, etc)
is utter crap.  all of that "cash money records" and master p, and jay-z,
and juvenile, and stuff- i don't care for that, but overall, i do like rap.

dmx has his moments.  wu-tang clan/method man/etc is sweet.  dr dre and
snoop have a small spot in my collection.  i went to go see the
dre/snoop/icecube tour the day after the monk show this june. :)

there's also some of the old-school-type rap still going on.  JURASSIC 5
comes to mind.  this is some of the best, original rap out there.  no
cliche "raise your hands in the air, wave 'em all around like you just
don't care" crap.  2 djs, 4 mcs, and good rhymes.  JURASSIC 5 represents
some good rap out there.  not gangsta, but more about life and social
topics.  good stuff.  JURASSIC 5's album "quality control" is solid.
others like DILATED PEOPLES (from LA) and the GREENHOUSE EFFECT (from
Cinti) have some excellent stuff, and they're not all about the pop-rap on
MTV Jams, but rather the original elements of hiphop (breakin', taggin',
and oldschool dj-ing).  lately i can't get enough of JURASSIC 5.

gonna see them in Cinti this coming sunday... woohoo!!  J5, DILATED
PEOPLES, and two openers.  should be cool.  that's why i'm leaving
Oktoberfest early, bruce.

>b)Stick to my guns.  "Heck yeah, I like her.  Anyone who says she's
>overrated obviously doesn't get her."

as for victoria, i wish i could have seen her at blue jordan, however, the
monk show truly did kick ass.  but the stupid power problems made it so
both bands were on at the same time (that wasn't supposed to happen, dammit).

latya,
Dan

np: joe satriani - surfing with the alien

+- Dan Temmesfeld - dantemm(at)netzero(dot)net -+
 _Galactic Cowboys  -  http://www.dlm.net/gc/ _
    wish i could whisper how much i need you
+- after tomorrow i might forget to  (kingsx) -+