Re: encore theories

> I have a little social rule in my head.  Or.  Um.  Some sort of marker of
> truth.  Which is this: it's only a REAL encore if the people refuse to
> leave when the house lights come up.  I mean, sure there's something to
[snip snip]

I've only seen what I'd consider one REAL encore - They Might Be Giants at
the Newport in '97.   They did the typical
come-back-out-with-the-band-to-play-Ana-Ng, then the crowd wouldn't leave,
near-riot conditions.  So they came back out with the band to play something
else (what it was escapes me at the moment - I think maybe it was 'The
Guitar').   And the crowd STILL was riotous, so for the 3rd (!) encore, John
& John came out and played 'Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love' with just guitar
and accordian.

It was a beautiful moment.

~C