encore theories

>there wasn't an encore...they brought up the house lights right after
they went off >stage...and i heard karin remark to someone after the show
that they brought them up too >quick...the songs marked for encore escape
me at the moment...

I have a little social rule in my head.  Or.  Um.  Some sort of marker of
truth.  Which is this: it's only a REAL encore if the people refuse to
leave when the house lights come up.  I mean, sure there's something to
the clapping-a-lot-for-more-songs thing at the end of shows.  	It's a
nice ritual.  A nice way to show big respect for the artist.  A nice way
for the artist to say, "Yes, if you really do cheer like you liked us,
we'll shyly play some more songs."  But it's all too pavlovian.  Lights
up.  Crowd leaves.  But when the lights are up and the crowd refuses to
leave, THAT'S a REAL encore.  I saw this for sure once: Bob Dylan here in
Muncie (weird, huh?).  And I think I saw it, believe it or nor, in
Indianapolis when I saw Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, only there werre no
houselights, cos it was outside.  And I think that thing where Linford
jumped up to play Jack's Valentine at COrnerstone was a definite REAL
encore.  B/c Cornerstone is the worst with encores.  They totally coach
them.  "Let's see if we can get 'em back!"  So lame.  But this summer,
they were trying to send us home, and we kept cheering, and Linford
forced the, what?, thrid encore.  (And so the band participated in giving
itself a real encore . . . )

Very tired.  May not make sense.

That is all.

Fred