Re: Tolkien...

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, ken and bj wrote:

> That quote was first spoken in The Fellowship . . . (I have it written
> in my "Book of Good Quotes and Random Babblings")  I think Gandalf the
> Wizard said it, but it might have been one of the princesses (despite
> my email, i haven't read the book in a while) ken

it's part of a long poem that is given to frodo at the beginning of his
quest.  gandalf reminds him of it a couple times. and i think Strider also
says the poem at one time.

the most i can remember is...

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken:
The crownless again shall be king.

it's  apretty long epic, i think. anyway -

rhys

--
Not all who wander are lost. JRR Tolkein