Re: darkest night of the year

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Kelvin T Bailey wrote:

> Hey, glad to hear your family is fine.  I had a similar experience
> when I first heard the story.  I have friends (mom, dad and 2 kids)
> who are returning from Paris, flying on two different flights.  I was
> on the edge of my seat - and mind - until they mentioned that it was a
> charter flight with German tourists.  I personally think they should
> give that kind of identifying information up front so we don't sweat
> through the whole story.

thanks. it didn't help to know they were germans... some of my family has
citizehship... ifeel guilty that i'm glad - because other families didn't
have that good news...

> On the other hand, I always feel guilty for feeling so glad it wasn't
> anyone I know because there are a hundred or so folks who listen to
> the news anxiously and then have their worst fears realize.  Same
> thing happens everytime a 16 year old kid gets killed in a car wreck
> and I find myself relieved it's not one of mine...

i think it's one of our greatest fears as humans. not necessarily the
dying part, but the being left part... of losing someone and being left
without them.  the fear of being alone drives us to attempt communication
with terminals where the other face sits unseen, and fill the room with
noise of other people's lives lived out on tv to fill empty spots.

 society is wierd. i'm homesick.

rhys

--
Not all who wander are lost. JRR Tolkein