Re: not letting them define us (was Re: occupations?)

I'm so glad you guys brought this up.  I've had a couple of similar
conversations recently.  I was just talking to my Dad the other night
about an upcoming class reunion.  I skipped the last two because I just
wasn't happy with what I could tell folks concerning what I was doing.
I'm definitely going this year, probably with a smug attitude -knowing
that I'm probably better off than 75% of the rednecks I graduated with.
I made the comment to my Pa that I just wish people would be less
interested in what I am and more interested in who I am.  I lead a pretty
fascinating life that I think would greatly interest them.  It just
doesn't happen 8-5 M-F.
On a similar note, a friend was talking about a medical missions trip she
recently took.  It was a horrible experience for her.  One of the things
she mentioned was that, after a month with a particular co-worker she
felt that said co-worker knew nothing about her.  Her comment was, "She
doesn't even know I have three sisters."   This struck me because I'm
often accused of not asking questions about people and therefore not
being interested in them.  My response: I want to know about you, not
your sisters.  I'll learn much more about you by 86ing the questions and
just hanging with you and getting to know you.
I think we live in a society that wants us to believe we are merely the
sum total of our statistical information.  That's unacceptable - my
statistics suck!

Whoops...that was a tangent...

hlp

Kelvin

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 07:08:03 -0400 Dan Temmesfeld <dantemm at erinet_com>
writes:
> rhys daily wrote:
> >work is a fascinating thing - people do it and
> >let it define all of them until there is nothing
> >left. scary.
 but really i try not to