not letting them define us (was Re: occupations?)

rhys daily wrote:
>work is a fascinating thing - people do it and
>let it define all of them until there is nothing
>left. scary.

true.  in fact, in recent conversations (mainly
with bruce lachey), this has come up.  so many
times when anyone meets for the first time, a lot
of times the question is asked, "so, what do you
do for a living?" or "where do you work?"

while i don't feel that this is necessarily a bad
"getting to know someone" question, i don't think
we should let it give ourselves first impressions
of people.

about a month ago someone at work asked me why i
got into accounting.  i told them that i had
started running out of money for music, and i
figured that this would pay the bills.  she said,
"i'd laugh, but i don't think you're kidding."

i was sort of kidding, but really i try not to
define myself by what i do at work.  work is really
just a way to afford rent, food, clothing, etc.
it's great if i enjoy it.  many times i do not
enjoy it, though.  if i didn't have to have money
to survive, trust me- i would not be working.

what i need is a job working for rolling stone, or
something, reviewing new music 40 hours a week.

*that* would be my dream "job."

like a quote out of context,
Dan

np: ben folds five - s/t

+-  Dan Temmesfeld     Galactic Cowboys on the Web  -+
    dantemm at erinet_com      http://www.dlm.net/gc/