Re: Canal Street Sell-out

     I sat on the steps at Canal Street at about 5:45pm.  It was not
obvious to me for a while that they were open.  I eventually
realized that people were going in for happy hour but that the bar
would close and reopen at 8.  Maybe the lady that you were talking
to misunderstood your question.  They were not open for the concert
yet.  I am not even sure if they were open for happy hour at 5:15.
They were late opening the doors for the concert, so they may also
have been late opening the doors for the happy hour.  Even if they
were open for happy hour at that time she might not have realized
it yet.  Eventually it became obvious that people were walking into
the bar.  Sitting in the hot sun next to a loud street getting bored
is a little disorientating.  It is not easy to understand what people
are asking.  I spent time waiting in line with the lady that you
talked to and found her to be a very nice person.  She would not have
purposely misled you.

      Canal Street Tavern should have had a sign on the door saying
when the happy hour was.  When they sold out they should have put
a sign on the door so that people would not wait in line for tickets
that do not exist.  Yet on the other hand I can understand that they
are busy enough getting set up and finding people to work on a party
night.  They provide an unusually good listening experience.  The
staff are quiet enough to not distract from the music.

     For future reference: you can buy advance tickets by mail from
Canal Street Tavern by enclosing an extra $2 per order.  I found that
you need to call late afternoon or evening because they are closed
early in the day.  If it is too close to the show date you can have
the tickets kept will-call and get them from the ticket taker.  The
next time you hear of a concert there that you are interested in call
them and ask how you can get tickets mailed to you.

--Rick C