Re: Fw: new music - bored and wondering...

Well, thanks to a charming young record-store owner friend of mine, I got
the new Duran Duran "Pop Trash" last Monday, before its general release.
I have so say that while "Someone Else Not Me" is right up there with
some of their best work, the rest of the album will take some growing on
me. I doubt there'll ever be a "Rio 2000." Still, I adore them.

On a whim today, I finally bought Sting's "Brand New Day." i don't know
how he does it, but somehow, that man puts one song on each album that
shines like torchlight, brighter than anything else on the radio or
anywhere else. "Fragile," "Shape Of My Heart"-- I couldn't get away from
them. Nor did I want to. This time, it's "Desert Rose," the second track
from the new CD. Halfway through the first hearing of it on WXPN months
ago, I gasped and swore I'd have it by the end of the day. Fiscal
responsibilities intruded, unfortunately, but the song's not lost one jot
of its power to impress. I will admit that trying to listen to it on a PC
with a noticeable stutter and limp was definitely an annoyingly flawed
experience, but driving home, the first of many times through it brought
tears to my eyes. How can I not love a song that likens falling in love
to the fall from Eden?

Aside from that, I've been existing on a steady diet of VNV Nation. But
they're EBM, and I don't think anyone else here's really into that sort
of thing, so I'll just keep humming quietly over here.