re-releases; a thought...

I was just thinking, since many of us already have much of Over the
Rhine's back catalog, I wonder what Virgin/Backporch is going to do
to make them more "appealing" to the collector and long-time fan?
I was thinking that it'd be a good idea if they added, as bonus
tracks at the end of the c.d.'s, current live renditions of tracks
from whichever c.d. it is.  I thought this because 1.)  they sure
sound different these days -- I was listening to TWHF last night, and
they've come such a long way that I hardly recognized them as the
same "band" as recorded GOODBYE on the ROARING LAMBS comp...though I
truly enjoyed both.  2.)  Every once in a while they'll do one of
their old tunes and completely rework it in a way that is simply
WONDEROUS!  If they added, say, the NKU live version of Jacksie
(which was BEAUTIFUL) to PATIENCE, and the version of June they
played for a time with Jack and Terri which was Piano based...I can
think of a number of live tracks that would add a contemporary
perspective on where Otr is CURRENTLY in regards to their past work.
I don't know -- maybe I'd simply like to get ahold of a high quality
copy of some of those tunes being played live, but I think it'd make
TWHF, PATIENCE, and EVE well work repurchasing.
ALSO -- does anyone else think that the full-band version of IT'S
NEVER QUITE WHAT IT SEEMS downloadable from the site is MILES above
the simple version on the c.d.?  I absolutely LOVE it!  Wow.
Wish I could make it to the Columbus show.
blessings,

mr. shannon lee lewis
SLEWIS at libris_libs.uga.edu
http://www.wdausa.org/
http://soe.pair.com
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
 to gain what he cannot lose." -- Jim Elliot
NOW PLAYING;  Jan Krist - LOVE BIG, US SMALL.