tickling the taste buds?

j.g. contributes:
> >a few years ago,  i had a guinness.    yuccchhh!     then recently i've
> >been
> >speaking with OTR's  Stacie,   and she convinced me to give Guinness
> >another
> >try.
> >Y'know,  i've never licked ashes out of an ashtray, but  i gotta think
>it's
> >very much similar to Guinness,  except perhaps the ashes might not be as
> >wet.    so,  yuccchh!  again.

rick adds:
      A good reason for bars to serve guiness extra cold
>almost freezing is for beginners who do not know what
>they should look for in a guiness.  It is one of the
>thickest darkest beers you can buy.  Hopefully some
>will take their time with it sipping a little at a time
>until it approaches room temperature (this works best
>in summer).  Those who are open minded to new tastes
>might decide that they like it better a little warm.
>It took me years to enjoy guiness at any temperature.
>I worked my way up through the light german and czech
>beers, adventuring to english ales, and slowly through
>german dark beer to stout, then extra stout guiness.

-->  okay, iīm confused...why would you work at liking something you donīt
necessarily need to like?  seems like a waste.  i understand giving it a
good, honest taste--trying it.  i think i would understand it if it had some
worthy health value like a veggie that maybe isnīt all that spectacular...
but beer?  if itīs alcohol you seek, there are plenty of other options and,
might i add, plenty of beers and ciders.  please enlighten me here...

-la mexicana (marie)