Re: Re: Good Music Bad Music

On Fri, 12 May 2000 14:21:50 EDT BEric123 at aol_com wrote:

--This is in regard to the discussion about good music. The Backstreet Boys &
the other boy bands may sing a nice song, but the actual members don't have
much /any musical credibility because the songs are written for them by other
people.--

So what are you gonna do with someone like Linda Ronstadt?  She's made quite the living off other people's songs yet has remained quite credible.  (To be fair to you, I do realize that your argument is not based on this point alone.)

-- Also, most of the songs seem to be dominated by a pulsing rhythm, and
musicianship is not very good. They are not the only band in the top 40 with
a melodic sound.--

I hope nobody mistakes me as holding the B-Boys up as the paragons of musical virtue.  I only meant that they have performed several songs that I think are good songs.  This is not taking into consideration who actually writes the stuff or whether or not the boys have any other talents beyond singing.

-- This subject is really kind of silly, and I can get as
worked up about it as anybody, but if you're looking for really good music (
such as OTR) you shouldn't be expecting it from the Top 40 to begin with.--

Hear! Hear!  I can't tell you the times I've thanked God that there is more to choose from beyond current top 40 crap.  I'm also thankful that I am a child of the 70's, a time when you could count on the top 40 to at least be interesting.