Re: the walrus is paul

>From: Alfred B Johnson <hoopyfrood at juno_com>
>To: Over-the-Rhine at actwin_com
>Subject: the walrus is paul
>Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 09:02:22 -0400
>
>1.  Donald, buddy, that was more vile than anything Kyle has ever written
>to this list.

vile is the very word  i was going to use in my response to don's letter,
but decided not to bother.  i was severely offended by that letter.  i was
even disturbed.  don, i'm glad you're on the list, but please learn to
control your rage.  this is a learning experience for us all.  hopefully
we're all humble enough to learn from each other on this list.  i know i've
been humbled at times.  life is a lot easier to deal with when you alow for
the possibility that you can be in the wrong, right?  it's nice not having
to expend energy trying to defend and justify ourselves, often at the
expense of rationality and kindness. perhaps that's the propensity of us
all.  (more below)

>4.  Seeing OtR for the first time is a great experience.  Some of us
>here, who are not shy, have seen other incarnations of Over the Rhine and
>miss certain aspects of the "old" bands and have certain theories about
>what's going on.  The big thing is that they've been doing mostly the
>same songs live for about 4 years now, and while the quiet show was a
>bowl-over at first, a lot of us have seen it 6 times or more or more or
>more now.  Some of us don't get bored with it, but some of us do.  As you
>might expect.  But almost all of us would like to hear quiet music played
>loudly more often.  Kyle is agitating for that.  And I can't freakin'
>wait for them to start mixing up their shows more.  I mean, in contrast,
>the Viggies, who are well loved by many OtR fans, tend to play a
>different set list every night, with brand new songs and really old songs
>and stuff . . . and I want that from OtR, but it doesn't happen, and so
>we wait . . .
>
>5.  Sometimes, people here, who are not shy, speculate bad things about
>Karin and especially about Linford.  This sort of thing is especially
>true when, say, the beloved original drummer splits from the band for the
>second time and we're all feeling very concerned about why the heck that
>would happen.  In the end, we love them both in general (you know, as
>much as you can love rawk stars who you don't really know, for the most
>part).  But it's okay, it's good, that the list is not starry-eyed all
>the time.
>
>That is all.
>
>Fred

thanks alot dr. fred.  your insight is once again helpful.  maybe some of
you other vets could also shed some more light on the progression of otr.
how did they used to be different? what did there music offer in years past
that it no longer does. why the rut in set lists???  did they used to mix it
up?   maybe they're spending too much time 'down on the hardwood floor' or
something.  who knows.  personally i happen to have enjoyed immensely almost
every otr show.  (i've seen perhaps 5)

back to otr please,
brian