Small mind, will post, and post, and post ad nauseum

Samantha,

Thanks for your lovely words. I discovered Over the Rhine near the birth of
the band, and found their music strangely stirring in ways that are hard to
put into words. I have enjoyed watching the band evolve over the years. I
came to this discussion a few weeks back hoping to enjoy others who found
the music of Over the Rhine deeply moving. (Others such as yourself.) You
will eventually discover that most of the people on the list are intelligent
and warm, a reasonable expectation based on Over the Rhine's music and
overall vibe.

However, there is a boy on the list named Kyle who has been able to have a
little bit of a "life" by living vicariously day after day through a band
which he has neither the capacity to understand or describe. He apparently
is hoping to connect with people who feel the band is average at best, which
raises the issue of why he wouldn't go somewhere else in search of a more
deserving host for his pale parasite posts.

You and Kyle could take a plane ride low over the Sahara, or dipping in and
out of the Andes and you would step out of the plane struggling to find
words to summarize your basic feeling of "Wow." Kyle would step off the
plane and his sparrow brain would complain that the pilot was flying too
fast at times, and even had a strange haircut not altogether to his liking.

The people on the list on a good day are quite tolerant, and they tolerate
stupidity as well as beauty. Apparently the diversity keeps things
interesting. So don't lose heart. And anybody who has the capacity to be
moved deeply can move others with their own work if this is what they
desire. It may take a lifetime of work and heart break, but it is a life
worth pursuing. Over the Rhine's music speaks generously to this. You seem
to be good with words, and I found them to be resonant and ringing true.

And have no fear. The members of Over the Rhine will never pay the least
mind to Kyle's comments. His audience is limited to the half dozen people
that find his low self-esteem amusing. And Kyle is amusing at times. Imagine
him accusing someone of trying too hard to be funny.

H. Thibaut

P.S. I sent Kyle a short message directly and he responded by filling my
mailbox with about 80 subscribe/un-subscribe messages from the Over the
Rhine website. So apparently, one approach to life is, When your wit and
intelligence fall a little short, try vandalism. It's not a big deal. I just
don't like to stand idly by while others undo the work of a band that I
happen to support. The fact that Over the Rhine pays for this service for
their fans would suggest that they have confidence in their listeners. I
have no doubt that truth and beauty will prevail.