Gun locks , wasRe: Pass the drugs, please

In a message dated 4/10/00 2:59:09 PM Central Daylight Time, howe.38 at osu_edu
writes:

<<
 there are trigger locks you can buy that fits inside the trigger guard of
 guns to prevent them from firing, usually it takes a key to unlock it.  and
 smith and wesson just agreed to (some say pressured into) build locks into
 their handguns.  a lot of gun stores are protesting, and you can probably
 pick up a S&W for under market value right now.

Thanks for the info. It's good to know they are addressing the problem. I'm
not suprised gun stores are protesting. The NRA probably is too.  It's going
to cost a few $$ to impliment and the buck (along with individual rights)
are far more important than peoples lives and welfare don't ya know.

 <<but the reason why i would want a gun is not for hunting, i would want it
 because someday i might need to use it and in a hurry, so the trigger lock
 would be pointless.

If you have it with you I don't see a problem. AND, you don't have kids
around the house. I argued with someone once who said the same thing but had
4 young children. His ONLY argument was he might not be able to unlock it in
time if someone broke in. Give me a break. If you have the key (or combo)
handy what's it take, a few seconds? I assume you would hear someone breaking
in. If they were quiet enough to sneak up on you your dead anyway.

 < i would always keep mine loaded and with one round in
 the chamber at all times just because if shit hits the fan, i might not have
 the time or might forget to jack the slide and seconds that count might be
 lost.

As I said above I disagree that there wouldn't be time. Unless you were in a
street warfare type situation where it was a who got the shot off first
scenerio you'd have those precious seconds needed I'd imagine.

<<the key is training, it's not hard to teach someone not to put their
 finger on the trigger unless they mean to pull it, and never to point the
 muzzle at anyone unless they want that person dead.

You don't think people know that already?
 Apparently that knowledge hasn't helped any.

>>.but that's just my opinion, i
 could be wrong.

Ah, a Miller fan. Well there's at least two things we have in common so I
guess you're not all bad ;-). Taking OtR as a given.

Kevin, the off topic listee (I'm glad I did it!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA)