re: lyrics and interpreting and.....

>np: waterdeep - sink or swim

wow, dan, someone else knows waterdeep.  sink or swim is a Christian album i
can stomach, though i don't care for alot of what they do.  i've seen them
in concert twice.  love the acoustic oriented songs. . .

my love is a fever, my love is a fable, my love is jazz licks improvised by
toddlers, bold ulysses by nursery rhyme, and firelight.

this is rather unrelevant to my response but i just love to quote that line.
  but maybe i could make it relevent.  i don't get the "bold ulysses"
reference, though i assume that it is not something exactly conducive to
sedating small children into gamma wave mode. . .  but this song from 'eve'
makes me do flips.  no bubblehead, i didn't say backflips, i said flips.
backflips are much too tiddy and controlled.  i'm talking about whirl-flips,
baby.. . . just visualize.   and then further on it's, "out of the woods now
comes a virgin in buckskin mocc. tall thin she plays her mandolin so
maudlin, you begin to spin. . ." (!!)   the imagery in this song is
incredible, needless to say.

so on with my response.

the approach to interpretation which is centered around the interpreters
whims is not something i care for.  for instance, in literary interpretation
there are certain principles and guidelines that one must follow.  therefore
hermeneutics is refered to as the art and science of interpretation.  one
principle you learn from studying hermeneutics is essentially, exegesis.
exegete!  not eisegesis!  (from the greek prefix 'ek' or 'out of', versus
the greek prefix 'eis', 'into'.)  one thing that really bothers me is when
people sit around in english class or, the classic case is at a little bible
study group.  everyone goes around in a circle and says, "well martha, how
does that passage make you feel?  what does it mean to you".   there's a
little rhyme that some of my profs. have quoted to illustrate this.
something like: 'wonderful things in the bible i see, wondrous things put
there by you and by me.'  when interpreting literature like the bible,
plato, shakespeare, etc, it's easy to read in stuff that 's not really
intended by the author because it fits your fancy.  granted this only
applies with literature which was written with a specific argument or with
something specific in mind.  i think of shakespeare and the bible etc, and
realize that the authors were trying to communicate something very specific.
  to insert our own ideas at the expense of theirs is not what they wanted.
it's not intellectually honest, furthermore, and it's the difference between
ice-cream cones and filet mignon.
   the same goes for MOST musical pieces.  when bob dylan wrote 'the times
they are changing' there is a specific context which we must understand to
really catch what is being said.  when you listen to that song thinking
about the culteral revolution that was taking place when bobby d. wrote that
song in his protest years, the lights come on.
   now of course otr is much different.  maybe linford is on the new school
postmodern subjectivism band wagon, but i don't know.  i don't think their
songs are a chaotic splotch of paint on a canvas going for a cool million.
alot of artists have something substantial to say through their work,
something to communicate, and i always thought otr was more on that boat
than not.
   now these thoughts can easily be misunderstood.  i'm not saying that when
a person approaches a piece of work that a personal exerience does not occur
in response, something that the artist might have no way of predicting or
intending.  take latterdays.  if i'm correct that song was deeply personal
to karin and linford, but how are we supposed to fully understand?
inevitably when we listen to that song we instinctively apply it to our own
heartaches and experience.  it speaks to us where we're at in ways linford
could never intend.  so you guys are really helping me think through this
and understand as i type this.
but is this the case with all songs? take 'june'.  i think june has a very
specific message.  i don't want to paint over linfords canvas with my own
brush.  i want to see what's there and feel what they are feeling as i
understand.   man, maybe i'm taking this too seriously.
it's a frickin' "song" man.
how bout the seahorse.  i don't get that song!  that is a cohesive poem
about something specific.  i want the big picture.  maybe it was that
lysergic acid dythalamine. . . i'm lost in the forest.
my conclusion is, there's a balance.  each song can be approached
differently.

anybody know what highway 61 dylan was talking about?  maybe i'm on the
wrong list.  how does the number 61 make you feel, man?  anybody ever been
to desolation row?  (i think it runs parallel to highway 61.) you should all
nod your heads yes now. in unison. you've all been there.

they got a ranch that's called number SIXTY-ONE.  can't see it at all, less
your flying by!
(for a select few. you know who you are)

nonsequitor,
brian