evil and humanity

BE WARNED: THIS IS LONG AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH OTR AND IS CONTROVERSIAL
SO JUST TRASH IT NOW IF THAT SOUNDS NO GOOD.

i think the secret to unlocking the mystery of mankind is discovered by
looking at the words that make up "mankind";  that is, "mank" and "ind".
these words are inscrutible, and hence, mankind remains a mystery.    -j.h.

i've been following these recent discussions and have something to throw
down, even though i'm hesitant due to my belief that you all will probably
go on believing what you want so as to defend your pride and ego, even
despite convincing arguments to the contrary.  not to condescend.  so far
most of you seem very intelligent and more educated than myself.  it's just
that there is much more to making up one's mind concerning these profound
issues with which we deal than a person's education and intelligence.  for
instance, i'll use previously cited illustrations; take hitler, stalin,
daumer, (i'll leave good ol' river phoenix out of this one.  that was a
crack up for me man. that list seemed a tad anamalous. he was a speedballin'
burner who didn't "fulfill his potential" not a mass murderer).  i don't
know about daumer, but i know hitler is renowned for his brilliance.
education has never been a cure for man's apparent depravity (yes, i'm on
the pessimistic end of the train).  the most educated people in the world
are often more evil and twisted than the average proliteriate, i.e.
politicians, lawyers.
    man is not an animal, he is a class above.  he has sensibility, reason,
intellect, moral sense.  his thoughts and consciousness is beyond him.
based on this valid assertion we reason that the root of man's "evil" (a
word we all have commented on, thus demonstrating our moral consciousness,
and further demonstrating our god-consciousness, because in a universe
without a creator there can be no right and wrong, only preference. start
from the first amoeba and tell me where the existence of right and wrong
comes into play. if we evolved from protiens and random chance, it MAKES NO
DIFFERENCE whether or not i help the proverbial old lady across the street,
or grab her perse and hit her over the head with it, and then laugh as she
falls in the street and meets an ugly death, at which we would all probably
wince, further demonstrating or moral ontology) lies not in his mind, that
is to say, in a lack of education or intelligence, so much as in one of his
other faculties.  i would call that faculty his spiritual part; that part
where man which was created by God for his relating to God.  it is that part
of man that is darkened.  that is the root of man's evil inclination.  it is
his spiritual "death" as many people refer to it; death being a concept
indicative of separation, i.e. at physical death the spirit of a person is
SEPARATED from the body. (if you eat of this fruit you will surely "die".
this was obviously a spiritual prediction due to the fact that adam lived
just a couple years after the fall) this spiritual deadness taints every
faculty of man- mind/emotions/will/conscience- while not rendering them
utterly destroyed.  therefore any intelligent being like hitler can sear his
conscience and kill people, while others can more effectively obey it and
therefore retain its use.  a toddler can feel utterly guilty about lying to
his mum and burst into tears for no apparent reason with shame, but that
same child can master the art of deception by the age of 13 with no remorse,
or not.
   so here we have these vestiges of God in us, morals, reason, volition,
(i.e. man created in God's image, as the story goes; a nonfiction narrative
mind you) but i don't see the guy anywhere in sight so will someone please
tell us what's going on?  can we have HIm?  does he even want us?  i'll tell
you this much, the absence of God's existence coupled with His benevolence
toward man leaves any claim to, or figment of beauty or purpose in this life
a crock of worthless chocolate-orange banter that should be thrown in the
electronic trash can.  (so i finally got to my comments)  do you mean to
tell me that after death is oblivion, and i exist simply for my posterity?
then slit my wrists!  better yet give me morphine baby!  no, better yet, let
me live a life of crime and hedonism- stay the **** out of my way- survival
of the fittest- this monkey is gonna stomp your ass, unless of course you
cater to my 70 yrs of pleasure.  love is an illusion. who cares about my
children.  they're all going to die anyways.  and enough of this crap about
"making this world a better place".  a better place for what?  how will that
help my eternal stay at hotel oblivion?  beauty is also an illusion.  since
when do a couple of chemical reactions caused by some external stimulus from
psuedo-pigment left by the paintbrush of some monkey who went to artschool
equal "beauty"?  and how do i HONESTLY derive joy from that awestruck
feeling i get when i gaze at the stars or the sunset? furthermore, since
when do a couple chemical reactions/thoughts which lead to conclusions and
theories in brain of some elite monkey in a white lab coat honestly mean
something of significance?  without God our existence and everything about
it is an illusion, and everthing we do is a truly pitiful and futile game.
   aahh, but if there is a God then i can be honest about this life and
these things i value; that is, if i'm not in big trouble with Him; that is,
if i'm not going to be judged by Him when i die for the things i've done.
like i said, where is God?  i think His distance is indicative of His
twofold attitude towards man.  He's left us here on this rock with all these
vestiges of Himself; but we can't get too close to Him for some reason (on
our own).  the fact that we're left here is also indicative of His kind
intention, cuz if He's pissed and not benevolent then he would stomp on us.
but this place sucks. at the same time there's beauty under the rubble.
why'd He leave us here?  we know He's out there somewhere.  maybe He wants
us to realize something.  we're plagued with this "deadness", yet not
completely.  is there a way do be reconciled and be made alive? i.e. united,
reconciled, know Him. this existence is so fragmented.  beauty and ugliness,
hatred and love. can we be united to the beaty and goodness from which we
stand afar?  better yet, can we know the one who created it?  what's the
obstacle?

sorry this is so long, but i figure if you can write two sentences to the
whole otr group about chocolate oranges then i can write a book.  i say this
with no bitterness whatsoever. :)

sincerely,
brian

"i believe in making this world a better place for the sake of our children,
but not for our children's children because children shouldn't be having
sex."

j.h.