Re: ya know what gets me....

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, plain jane wrote:

> i'm a lurker.  a deep, dark and dangerous lurker.

hm.  me too.

> what bugs me over and over and over the rhine again about this
> freaking list is when christians say that otr is a christian band.
>
> don't call them that!

> they don't deserve it, man.  can't you see how they constantly dis'
> christianity and yet all the sheep still go in droves to here them
> loosely allude to christ not hanging on a cross.  what is up with that
> pseudo christian jacked up mess?

why is it wrong to call them a christian band? just because all of their
music is not about God and lifting him up, doesn't mean they
aren't.  actually, i'm not sure if they are or not.  the point is there're
artists all over the place who are christian who don't promote a strictly
fundamentalist point of view, but are instead doing art.  and sometimes
art gets messy.   maybe it would be better to call them christians who
make music... i don't know, that's like parsing words that maybe don't
need it.

Tori Amos (according to Mars Hill Review) is a christian. she makes
music. i'd call her a christian artist. i would not say that she produces
music acceptable to most christians however, she is honest about where she
is and really hits some hard issues in the church.

there are numerous writers who're christian who write stories that do not
uplift God or push any gospel with a hard-headed intensity.  however, some
things do come through.  supposedly tolkein was a christian, and his books
have a lot of do-it-yourself kind of hopelessness.  his unfinished tales
are filled with people failing time and again. if you look at the Coming
of the King (one of the trilogy), the king is mortal and dies in despair
(read the appendix). Madeleine L'engle is a christian, and her children's
books are filled with what looks like new-ageisms.  people who are good
and have power to change things in the strength of love.  there are few,
if any references to God. in spite of these things, they are highly
celebrated artists.

i guess i would maintain that it is possible to be a relevant artist in
the contemporary world as a christian without pursuing a strictly
christain agenda and not devalue your integrity.

hm. um. i'm not sure this is really right, it't just been what i've kind
of been thinking...

rhys
--
In a mad world, only the mad are sane. - Akira Kurosawa