Francis Schaefer (was Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V3 #51)

>Gilhamilton at aol_com wrote:
>**Hey Rick;
>wowie zowie! and I thought PBS banned anything with a Christian world view
>;-) Glad to hear that PBS played it. I didn't know that. According to
>Franky
>in *A Time For Anger* the other Schaeffer series was turned down time and
>time again for its Pro-life message. But Franky has been known to be a
>little
>creatively overzealous in his writing to make a point.

     Francis was smart enough to slip by PBS.  When I watched it
it was sold as a history of Western Civilization.  I think I
remember Bill Moyers, a great power in the formation of PBS
policy, in an interview talking about the Schaeffer series,
calling it a disappointment.

     Notice when PBS has programs on Christian themes such as an
eight hour series on Christianity, or a two hour program on
people watching for the events in Revelation, they always have
the guise of having balancing two views.  The overall story is
told by several professors of Divinity who all seem to have no
faith.  It is nice that PBS at least presents the information.

>**CS Lewis, (Narnia Tales/Screwtape Letters/Mere Christianity) JRR Tolkien
>(The Hobbit/ Lord of the Rings) and Charles Williams. All friends and
>prolific writers. They (among others) used to meet every thursday in a pub
>called  *Eagle and Child* or in Lewis' room at Magdallen college and share
>thier writings calling themselves *the Inklings* LotR is perhaps the
>greatest
>fantasy ever written. Chronicles of Narnia  perhaps the greatest childrens
>tale ever told.

     I read _the Hobbit_ and _Screwtape Letters_.  I heard very much
about CS Lewis from friends who quote him.  Thanks for helping me to
piece this information together.  I will look up the other authors.

--Rick C