Re: GDBD Rerelease

Toast asked:

>Has anyone, anywhere seen any publicity, promotion, or anything of any
>kind regarding the rerelease. In other words, if I were not on this
>mailing list or an employee of a small Virgin records subsidiary, would I
>have any reason to know that this record even existed?

>I should probably just wait and find out for myself, but how did the
>"remastering" work out? I'm really not expecting a huge difference, but I
>still remember Linford's now infamous (to me anyway) statement circa
>June 1996 about how GDBD was going to be "demo-versions of songs and home
>recordings, which we were planning on re-recording for I.R.S. this
>Spring." and all the various intimations that the final product, as
>originally conceived, was going to be different. Is it still the same
>"demo-versions" we've come to know? I'll stop now, rather than go on a
>pointless rant....

Jefferson: the term "remastering" doesn't refer to whole, new versions of
songs.  In the case of CDs, it's just the step from taking analogue or
digital music data to the 44.1kHz CD format.  You can lower noise, etc.,
when you master a CD.  When the original GDBD(tHR) was released, it was
kinda noisy, especially songs like "Go Down Easy".  That hasn't changed, in
my opinion.

I have heard or seen absolutely nothing even on any VIRGIN or AMD/NARADA
label website.  The promo was released on subsidiary AMD/NARADA/BACK PORCH.
AMD seems to be a German thing, I can't find a lot more information on that,
and NARADA is the celebrated new-age label here in the US.  So it's all
weird.

As far as changes go: there are 4 photographs added to the package (credited
to the "Detweiler Archive"), lyrics to "It's Never Quite What it Seems"
(Words: Detweiler and Bergquist  Music: Bergquist), remastering is credited
to Trevor Sadler, the "The Quintet." section is dropped from the liner
notes, the website was changed from Don Smith's MIT to overtherhine.com, and
the following paragraph was added to the "Acknowledgements." section:

"Special thanks to Cowboy Junkies for inviting Over the Rhine to play these
songs across the country and abroad.  Special thanks to Terri Templeton,
Mike Georgin, Randy Cheek, David LaBruyere, Jeff Bird and Chris Dahlgren.
Special thanks to Stacie BeBout, Peter Leak and Mike Stucker."

Bruce