GDBD review by Larry Nager

     _Good Dog Bad Dog: the Home Recordings_ is reviewed in today's
Cincinnati Enquirer Weekend section (page 30) by Larry Nager.  He gives it
3.5 stars.

     For the benefit of listees outside of Cincinnati, here are direct
Quotes from Larry Nager (my apologies to Larry Nager and the Cincinnati
Enquirer for the extensive quote–I would have simply included a link to
enquirer.com if I could have found this article posted there):

     Cincinnati’s Over-The-Rhine is back in the bigs with the re-release of
this set on Virgin Records’ new Back Porch subsidiary.  Previously available
only at concerts and through the band’s Rhinelander fan club, the CD arrives
in stores nationally on Tuesday.

     Two of the original 1996 CD's quirkier tracks have been deleted, the
concert favorites "A Gospel Number" and Linford Detweiler's Beat manifesto
"Jack's Valentine."  Fans will miss them (even though they already have the
original release, of course) but their absence does make the album more
cohesive.

     In their place is the somber, fragile "It's Never Quite What It Seems."
  It's a love-gone-cold lament, framed in Karin Bergquist's delicate melody.
  "And your face I do know well.  Every breath breathes farewell," she sings
resignedly, backed by Mr. Detweiler's beefy Hammond organ.

     The CD is a fine introduction to one of the best bands to emerge from
the local scene.  It would be a shame if , in 2000, the group's dreamy
folk-pop was mistaken for a copy of Sarah McLachlan instead of the original
vision that it is.

     The CD features the original OTR quartet -- Mr. Detweiler on bass and
keyboards, Ms. Bergquist on vocals and guitar, Ric Hordinski on lead guitar
and Brian Kelley on drums.  It's a more stripped approach than the group's
current expanded lineup.

     The set opens in low-key fashion with the spare "Latter Days," a gently
rocking "All I Need is Everything," the stark "Etcetera Whatever" and Mr.
Hordinski's classically tinged E-bow instrumental "I Will Not Eat the
Darkness."

     If new listeners continue to the next song, "Faithfully Dangerous,"
they'll be hooked.  If you ever wonder what Billie Holiday would sound like
as a rock singer, listen to this track.  Ms. Bergquist's lazy phrasing and
dry vocal tone effortlessly summon the playful, sensual spirit of Lady Day.
In a better world , this would be a massive radio hit.

     "Poughkeepsie" stands out with its traditional country structure, while
Mr. Hordinski's acoustic guitar showcase, "Willoughby," remains a homespun
delight.

     "Happy to Be So" is another gorgeous Bergquist set piece, featuring her
sinuous voice and elastic phrases.  "Go Down Easy" closes the 12-song set in
easy-rocking folksy style, with OTR sounding a bit like an American Fairport
Convention in its days with lead singer Sandy Denny.

     _Good Dog Bad Dog_ has been a private pleasure for hard-core OTR fans
for too long.  It's time the mainstream national audience sat up and took
notice.

--Larry Nager
[end of quote of Larry Nager review]