gateway dru . . . er . . . . albums

When I was in junior high, I went to Target and bought two cassettes: Bon
jovi, "Bon Jovi," on which Jon actually sings in falsetto; and Van Halen
"OU812."  Those were the first.  At the time, I was also listening to
Petra, "Beat the System."  Before that, my parents had somehow tricked me
into listening to quite a bit more Statler Brothers than was probably
healthy for my soul.  I mean, my parents listened to Burl Ives and Chet
Atkins, so it's a wonder I escaped with my life.  But maybe I should be
going back farther.  Remember Bullfrogs and Butterflys?  Remember The
Music Machine?  Those got quite a few spins on the ol' turntable when I
was lad.  Annd I didstinctly remember a collection of story cassettes
that included star wars and several disney stories.  What else?  After my
Grandfather died, we ended up with all these reel-to-reel tapes he'd
recorded.  That was the first place I heard the Beatles, the Stones, Deep
Purple, Led Zepp.  Which is to say, somehow grandpa was  a lot more hip
than mom and dad.  And somehow all of this leads to Over the Rhine.

That is all.

Fred