Introducing OtR

Here's what I came up with at lunchtime today:

1. What album should I start with?
Any you can get your hands on.  Really.

2. Any articles I could read about them? +
3. Can someone point me to a history on the band?
A. Til/Till We Have Faces (91): folky, pleasant.
B. Patience (92): arty, pop, great songs.
C. Eve (94): guitar rockin’ fun.  Loud pop.
D. Good Dog Bad Dog (96): quiet, piano-y.  Personal.  (Did I mention quiet?)
E. Darkest Night of the Year (96): ultra quiet Christmas CD.
F. Besides (97): fun rarities + live compilation.
G. Amateur Shortwave Radio (99): weird retrospective w/ live and new cuts.

A-F recorded with “original” band (Linford Detweiler [bass/keys], Karin
Bergquist [voice/guitar], Brian Kelley [percussion], Ric Hordinski
[guitars]).  Based on B, IRS records signed OtR to 5 album deal; C was
recorded, A + B were re-released.  Hordinski + Detweiler seem to follow
different musical directions. Detweiler switched in early ’96 from bassist
to keyboards for group.  D recorded primarily at homes of Detweiler and
Hordinski.  E recorded, and Hordinski decides to quit OtR and follow his
side project “Monk” which he is the producer, primary contributor.  Monk has
three CDs “Quiver”, Hush” and “Blink”.

OtR rolls on, releases F as “limited fan club issue” that’s still available.
  Various musicians used for live shows and studio efforts.  Terri Templeton
and Jack Gordon Henderson assimilate into band.  Detweiler releases solo
piano CD.  Demos recorded for studios, Virgin offer accepted.  Back
catalogue expected to be re-released, starting with January re-release of D.
  Additional new material expected second quarter 2000.

One of these sites might be more of a good start:
www.overtherhine.com
http://www.kconline.com/eschumacher/OtR
http://members.tripod.com/JeffreyHolland/otrhine

One can always read archives of this tumultuous list:
http://actwin.com/OtR/search.html

4. Can someone give me a "6 degrees of separation" for OTR in the music
industry - i.e. who they have worked with or who has worked with them?
Started with support from Adrian Belew, guitarist extraordinaire.
Toured and played dates with Squeeze, Bob Dylan, Cowboy Junkies, VoL.
Signed with IRS, then Virgin.
First two CDs recorded w/ assistance of Tim Mcallister (sp), locally known
in Cincinnati.
Third CD "Eve" recorded with engineer Trina Shoemaker (sp), house engineer
at Daniel Lanois' studio in New Orleans.  Trina's worked with Sheryl Crow +
many others.
Fourth CD demos shopped around to several producers, including Sarah
McGlauglin's (sp) Pierre Marchand.  Sarah hears GDBD and it apparently helps
her through some writers block.
Ric Hordinski produces several acts, including David Wilcox and Cincinnati's
Plow on Boy to name but a few.  Brian plays drums on many tracks recorded at
Hordinski's Mersey Beat studio.
Karin Bergquist lends vocals to a few local CDs, including Plow on Boy EP
and Psychodots album track.
Detweiler and Bergquist (and to a lesser degree, Kelley and Templeton)
assimilate as part of Cowboy Junkies, playing tons of live shows with them
as members of the live show.

5. Do they ever come to the Boston area?
I think so.