mid december.

my dear friends,

long time silence, too long.
i miss you.

for me it's been planning and deciding on ceremonial logistics,
keeping in frequent communication with Lindsey and my future in-laws;
it's been renovating an old house from the 1830's in the tiny
charming village of Dexter (just outside of Ann Arbor).
i've learned how to drywall and how to balance myself
while screwing it into the ceiling. it's been ponderous to tape
and plaster over my work, watching four peeling layers
of wallpaper and over one hundred sixty years go away
before my bride and i move into it next week. the village blacksmith
(who was also a master mason) built the house and lived there for
a very long time - the stone barn in the back served as his shop...
it's been retaining my "golden handcuffs" career, except there are
many changes weekly at my two offices. i get pounced by five
engineers every time i walk into each place & can't perform my own
objectives yet amid the clamour. my future here remains to be seen,
but there -are- headhunters a-plenty 'round these parts,
so i can afford to be choosy after things slow down a bit in my life.

today i stopped in to office #1 for a bit to tidy up, because
tonight i leave Michigan for the last time as a single man.
it's all i can think on, all that really matters.
and i met her right here, on this list.
and i met her in Dayton, at the Canal Street show.
vintage burgundy dress. ivy circled in her red hair.
and as busy as i've been with wedding stuff and
renovations every night and two offices and... (gasp),
well, i've not been able to read your words, and i do miss you.
i admit that besides some occasional lack of social graces,
this orchard hall really is a pretty neat-O place to be.

it's when i remember Mr. Emery's sincere warm smiles,
and Ysoie's mischievous snickering, when jg and db simply glow
with compassion and generosity. when i remember Stef playing
her solo guitar on her monster-truck tailgate for Lynz and i with
Scott looking on. how Bruce used to call me up and invite me to
the greatest events and how comfortable his conversational skills are,
when i think on how very cool Josh and Zena are.
how Toasty Jeff can (with great wit) fit his bootleg collection,
an office, and two arab camels inside one tiny little travel bag.
when i remember Lisa and Laura and Lara talking to me like real sisters...
and the kindness of Jessyka, AmyromaniA, Amy-Raven & Melissa.

it's after the pixels and fonts go away and there are embraces
and real conversation.

the sheltering tree of friendships.

and then i remember again that this is the forum of discussion
where i met my bride, Lindsey Renee' Godlove. THE Lynzi. m'lady.

again, this is a kindred place.

this is shaping up to look like a really sappy late-year greeting,
however, my wish and attempt here is to sincerely say:
thank you. much love and blessings to you.

those of you who have supported the growth
of Lindsey's & my relationship in thoughts, words, and prayers -
thank you so much more than i can express.

this Sunday we will see Linford & Karin at the Ark in Ann Arbor;
i don't think they even realize that we'd met among their songs.
they don't know that we're marrying this Saturday,
or even that we'll be listening to his solo piano music as our guests
file into their seats, right alongside of Loreena McKennitt...

...or that the weekend we had breakfast with them
and mister Toast back in April was pivotal in our growing relationship.

i doubt i will get more words out between now and the year of 2000,
so everybody take care & God bless - and i hope that you all have
blessings as rich as Lindsey and i will have over the holidays.

maybe i'll have opportunity to say hello next Thursday...
i never -can- resist a good Christmas-time haiku, you know.

see you all next year,
may it be even more enriching than this one.

edward jay

NP: _Excelsis : A Dark Noel_ (Projekt Records collection)

"There's a man who spoke wonders though I've never met him
He said, 'He who seeks finds, he who knocks will be let in' "
Nick Cave
<<(\,- Sir Edward Jay, the Second ov Harnish -,/)>>
    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ICQ #13819982   ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
          http://members.aol.com/jaharnish2