Re: Hitchcock presents [No OTR Content]

>Wanting a bit of musical advice.. Robyn Hitchcock is coming to my part of
>the country (Portland, OR), and seeing as he's been mentioned on the list
>before was wondering what the low-down on his music is.  Can anybody help?

Do *NOT* miss this show.  I just got back from seeing him in Denver, and
it was an incredible performance.  Robyn has long been among my favorite artists,
but this show is by far the best concert experience I've ever had.  Ever.

For more info about Robyn, visit http://www.glasshotel.net/gh/ - it's pretty
much the definitive site.  There is also http://www.fegmania.org and
http://www.robynhitchcock.com

As far as which songs to look for - are you familiar with Robyn's stuff?  He's
been playing songs from all over his career. The setlist from Denver was:

Mexican God
The Devil's Coachman
Serpent At The Gates Of Wisdom
You've Got A Sweet Mouth On You, Baby
Queen Elvis
I Saw Nick Drake
Sinister But She Was Happy
Jewels For Sophia
Madonna Of The Wasps
Queen Of Eyes
Antwoman
America
Sleeping With Your Devil Mask
Oceanside
I Often Dream Of Trains
You And Oblivion
Birds In Perspex
Beautiful Queen
Swirling
Swirling [reprise]
Gene Hackman
Elizabeth Jade

He's been starting each show accoustically and then having the band join him one
by one.  Kimberley Rews (formerly of Soft Boys) is playing guitar on this tour - the
first time he and Robyn have toured together since Soft Boys!

Also, the opening act (Tim Keegan & Departure Lounge) is amazing.  I didn't really
know what to expect, but they're mellow and groovy and absolutely infectious.  I ended
up buying their cd and it hasn't come out of my cd player since Saturday night.  You
can find out more about Keegan and crew at http://www.meekgiant.com/departurelounge/index.html
Heck, I would drive a long way just to see *them* play.

Incidentally, bring a tape recorder if you have one, 'cause Robyn is encouraging taping on this
tour, and will even fight for you if the venue bouncers happen to get lippy.  I taped the Denver
show and it turned out terrific and I'm currently cleaning it up with SoundEdit and putting it
on a cd.  What a memento!  :)

Finally, you're going to see a short, bearded, balding fellow with thick glasses and a dictaphone
recorder somewhere near the front.  His name is Eddie Tews, and he's been to every show on the tour
so far.  Heckuva guy, and he'll tell you pretty much anything you want to know about Robyn or the
show.  Tell him I said hi.

Enjoy the show!  Wish I could be there with you!

Paul Christian Glenn
trance at radiks_net
http://eonchamber.virtualave.net