FW: monknotes

Forwarded by request...

Enjoy

-----Original Message-----
From: Merseybeet at aol_com [mailto:Merseybeet at aol_com]
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 1999 3:00 PM
To: chris.emery at ecoutlook_com
Subject: monknotes

hello everyone,
         first of all,  welcome to the many new faces in our small but
ever-growing family of listening folks.  we're are glad to have you along
for
the ride.  (and what a wonderful and strange trip it continues to be.)  in
case you missed it, we've had a really exciting and unpredictable year.
sometime in december you'll get a small "state of the union" note, but let's
not toast the new year until we've drunk the last one to the dregs.
begging
your pardon, we'll bend your ear a little right now though...
    our Long Promised Website is coming to fruition.  you can watch it
evolve.  there is already a sprout growing at  www.monkmusic.com.  we
welcome
hints, criticism and healthy suggestions.    more pages will be going up
almost daily.  one of the things we are most excited about is a page that
will allow bootleggers and tapers to compare notes about shows and trade
tapes of concerts of note  (we will be offering some live performances on
MP3
and on CD as well)
    the fine citizens of Cincinnati have once again nominated Monk for a
Cincinnati Entertainment Award for Best Adult Alternative.  if you feel so
inclined, vote for monk or over the rhine or whomever else may be
nominated... when asked about the nomination, ric said something like "it's
fun (and certainly an honour) to be recognized for what you do,  but these
awards seem to make music seem a little too much like a sport...plus we
hardly ever win...."
    on dec 1st the trio of Ric, Brian Kelley (who'll be drumming at all of
the events listed here) and onetime Otr bassist Mike Georgin will board a
big
plane and head over to Europe for a two week extravaganza.  (it's really
just
an excuse for Ric to find some cool shoes...)  we'll send you a note with
all
of the confirmations, but as of now it looks like there will be shows in the
Netherlands, Germany and Belgium.   there is going to be a page added to the
website in the coming weeks, on which you'll be able to view photos of them
in europe on a day by day basis.
    there are rumors of a monk discussion group starting on the net.  if you
interested go to EGROUPS.COM and look for MONK.

    monk are playing a few domestic concerts of note in november and
december
and it'd be real swell to see you at one of them.

NOVEMBER 12th- Kenyon College- Gambier, Ohio (very near columbus) pierce
hall
9pm.  call 740.427.5661

NOVEMBER 16th- MONK live on WNKU radio (89.7 fm in greater cincinnati /
northern KY area)- 9pm
NOVEMBER 18th- interview / performance (?)  on WVXU radio 91.7 fm-
cincinnati/ columbus etc.
            go to XSTARNET.COM for stations in michigan, kentucky, indiana
and northern ohio. 2pm
**NOVEMBER 20TH**
        MONK LIVE AT THE YORK STREET CAFE IN NEWPORT-  this is going to be a
very special show.  those of you who attended the last MONKSHOW at the York
St Cafe know that it was a completely packed house, but this concert looks
like it may go even further.  MONK is collaborating with WNKU, WVXU,
CityBeat
Magazine and the Freestore Foodbank to make for an evening to remember.
First of all, EVERYONE who brings a canned good will get $1 off of the
ticket
price AND a free 24" x 36" Poster featuring a beautiful Michael Wilson
photograph.  and secondly, opening the show will be Dave Wolfenberger (he's
currently nominated for every award under the sun) Ric produced his newest
record (check out bluejordan.com/david)  AND he's going to be doing an
incredibly special performance with just acoustic guitar and a  string trio.
Dave's songs are very moving and beautiful on their own, but this setting
should be just stunning.  tickets are $8 ($7 with a canned good at the
door).
 the evening starts about 9PM.... REALLY.
    for directions from out of town call 606-261.YORK. this will almost
certainly sell out quickly (only 250 seats....) so reserve your ticket now
by
calling 513.232.5820.

TTFN

monk