Re: foreign film / the industrial purists.

In a message dated 10/12/99 5:25:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
steins at phil-fak_uni-duesseldorf.de writes:

> > NP: einsturzende neubauten mp3's
>
> I can't believe someone outside of the German speaking
> world is actually listening to Einstürzende Neubauten.
> How did you ever hear about them?
> How about some Ton, Steine, Scherben and other
> Rio Reiser music?
>
> Carsten

(eyes widening incredulously)

Carsten,

i was first exposed to Einstürzende Neubauten around
1991 or 1992, and they changed my life, no exaggeration.
it was during this time that my ideals for the industrial
and mechanical were aroused, as i finally gained the
resources to study from (libraries, access to music, etc).
in all this, Einstürzende Neubauten was introduced to me
and showed me their pretentious ideals of tearing down
the concept of music as we know it (thus their name)
only to replace it with music re(de)fined. those are large
aspirations, and very ambitious, but they actually succeeded!

many of their earlier recordings are deemed
as unlistenable to the novice, but prove beautiful
over time despite their harsh brutality. after this, they
began to employ electronics and more traditional
instruments in addition to their springs, sheet metal,
stones, skin, jet turbines and machine sounds.
their latest release, Ende Neu, is warmer and more organic than ever.

Einstürzende Neubauten, specifically Blixa Bargeld,
is in my estimation one of the greatest
and most revolutionary minds of our time.

in his words (translated from German in Ende Neu) ~
"...Goodbye hello
Island to give away
But no fresh country any more
Let others tread beaten tracks
leaving stones behind them
We'll become what we are, and:
Ending New"

i was finally given the opportunity to see them perform
last December here in Detroit, and was more impressed
with them than i'd ever been. i remember Nnnaaammm
being especially impressive live (9 beat pattern,
broken down in recurring 2/3/4) and In the Garden.
<bragging rights>
EN's drummer Rudolph invited to the band's after-party upstairs,
complete with bread, wine, and intimate conversation
with all the members... even got to discuss the upcoming
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds project a little with Blixa
(in addition to EN, he's also Nick Cave's guitarist).
his presence will never be forgotten, stern and deep
in thought yet fresh and sometimes softened.
i was a little intimidated, but the other members'
whimsical pranks lightened the mood considerably.
</bragging rights>
i've been on their discussion list for some time,
but rarely make time to catch up with it -
too much time time already spent with you goofballs!

it was shorly after their introduction in 1992 that i was also
introduced to Laibach (from Slovenia) and Luigi Russolo
(Italian futurist / author of "The Art of Noises" in 1913).
these additions only furthered my inordinate fascinations
and notions, as they are more revolutionary minds
towards the purity of sound...

Einstürzende Neubauten
http://www.icf.de/EN/home.html

Laibach (music department for the organization
NSK = Neue Slowenische Kunst = New Slovenian Art)
http://www.laibach.nsk.si/
http://www.ljudmila.org/embassy/
(the latter is a wonderfully constructed site complete with
full CAD renderings of the NSK embassy, etc.)

Luigi Russolo's "Art of Noises"
http://www.unknown.nu/futurism/noises.html

Carsten:
given your address, i'll have to assume you're from Germany.
are you a fan of Einstürzende Neubauten?
i am not familiar with Tone Steine Scherben and other
Rio Reiser music; i've seen the names pop up on the
EN discussion list, but haven't investigated or remembered
the context of the messages. please be a good listie person
and explain Rio Reiser's work to me, all i know is that he
was/is a large inspiration for Blixa Bargeld.

(Ysoie - do you see this? another possible fan of Neubauten!)

interesting (albeit perhaps only to me) story:
during the listie gathering at my house earlier this year,
Bruce Lachey brought two of his German co-workers along.
i had some interesting conversation with them
concerning German music, but they'd never heard of
Neubauten(?!).
the only band they wanted to talk about was Rammstein!
i was nearly ashamed for them...

gute nacht,

edward jay

NP: Mozart's Requiem

In antiquity there was only silence. In the nineteenth century,
with the invention of the machine, Noise was born. Today,
Noise triumphs and reigns supreme over the sensibility of men.
Luigi Russolo (1885-1947)
<<(\,- Sir Edward Jay, the Second ov Harnish -,/)>>
    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ICQ #13819982   ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
          http://members.aol.com/jaharnish2