Re: Re: @NEWS! NEWS! NEWS!

Well, it turns out someone to whom I had sent that email not only knew
already, but actually WENT to the Tin Angel shows. If he were anywhere near
me right now, the kick I bestowed on Kyle'd look like a love tap.

Anyway, here's what he had to say to the various PA gothlists.

So, for those of you who were wondering, yah, the much-hyped October Project
reunion shows did go down this weekend.  Four sold-out shows in two nights at
the Tin Angel; not bad at all.

The band was billed under the name "October Project 2" but have since changed
their name to "November Project" to avoid possible legal hassles.  In truth,
it's better they did that since the sound has definitely evolved (or
devolved, depending on your point of view) from the old OP.

Emil and Julie, who were the writers behind OP, remain with the band (Julie
now performs).  Other than that, it's pretty much a new lineup of talent.
The instrumental folks were all pretty groovy....NP is still able to do
quiet, haunting tunes and then rock 'n' roll one song later.

The new vocalist has an incredible set of pipes.  She's got great power and a
beautiful voice.   However, if you're expecting Mary Fahl redux, you'll be
surprised.  While Mary's voice had that ethereal, operatic quality to it, the
new vocalist is a bit more akin to Margo Timmins of the Cowboy Junkies (but
not as sultry) crossed with Fumbling-era Sarah McLachlan. Very earthy, very
grounded, very talented.  But in truth, not as well suited to singing OP
material as Mary was.

Having said that, the new NP material is pretty solid, and she does a
smashing job with it.  Will the gothfolks like it?  I don't know.  I
personally dig it, but then again, I dig lots of stuff.  Whereas I could
easily recommend OP material to goths and have often spun it, I don't know
that I could do the same with NP as easily.

I also miss some of the great harmonies that OP seemed to do; there seem to
be much less of them with NP.  However, in fairness, I must say that the
performance I saw was the band's third-ever live show together, so you've
gotta give them some room to grow.

If you liked OP, you should at least give the new band a chance.  If you like
singer-songwriter XPN kinda stuff, you should definitely give them a look.
If you like all your music uber-gothy, you're better off getting OP's back
catalogue.