Re: truth is a sweaty toothed madman blanket cold feet

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:40:34 EDT Toggedout at aol_com writes:

>is this "t"ruth or "T"ruth?  either way, good and evil are just
>manifestations of the social process at a given time, and are simply
>moral
>judgments based on what is at hand.  my opinion is that the only
>things one
>should label negative and positive are lead wires and magnets.

So it was okay that Hitler slaughtered 3 million Jews, that Ted Bundy
raped and killed countless girls, that two teenagers walk into a school
and kill 15 kids for no reason?  This is not evil?  My mind has just been
brainwashed by a given society and a need for self preservation?  Boy,
have I been duped!  I want my money back!

.  How do you know this
>sense
>of justice and beauty is not just the warped product of some Timothy
>Leary
>foray into altering the mind of a test-tube fetus?

I, personally would never associate justice and beauty with Timothy
Leary. :)

i don't buy
>justice and i
>don't buy beauty (at least for the sake of argument=-).

Actually, they're not for sale.  (Except at beauty pageants.)

>Major premise:  see hume, who says there is no such thing as cause and
>
>effect, but simply a random conglomeration of events we confine to our
>handy
>concept called "time" and thereby prestigitate a connection which is
>not
>actually there.

What Hume or anyone else says doesn't constitute a proof for anything,
much less a sufficient refutation of someone elses attempt to prove
something.

>mighty big IF, pard.

Big 'if' for a big God.  (sorry...couldn't resist)

>all of a sudden we're quoting from the bible, as if it were simply
>understood
>that the way to understand an undefined god (undefined from above
>argument)
>is through an unsubstantiated claim to divine discourse.  who is to
>say god
>is non-discursive, the unmoved mover?  who can claim to know?

Gee, isn't this what you just did earlier with Hume and his
unsubstantiated claims?

Just a thought or two...

Kelvin