Re: Otr past and present...

Sorry all for being a bit behind in my mail. Shannon, well said. It is
nice to hear from someone who remembers the early days, but also who can
find the positive in change. I have been employed buy the "same" company
in Cincy for the last 10 years.

At that time it was kind of a homecoming,
as I am a Cincy native and was returning after 12 years in NY. I was
coming home and  yet I was not. OtR and I began a journey together that
said change is constant. I had been apart of this thought before, but not
alowed myself to enjoy it.

Oh sure, I initialy found GDBD to be not what I expected (just picking on
1
CD, as you never now what to expext from anything until you have been
there.) I guess I could ramble on, but I figure that I best not.

I will close with the idea that change is not easy or always fun. It does
spark discussion. It is the disscussion that can allow things to evlove
into something better.

 On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Shannon Lewis
wrote:

> I've been on board the Over the Rhine ship since a few months before
> Patience came out the first time -- I've seen them well into at least
> 30 times or so, past and present line-ups -- I really don't think
> they're going down-hill at all.  O.K. -- I WAS indeed one of the
> people chearing for Ric to leave the band long before he did (he
> didn't seem to be respecting the songs any longer, and was "wanking"
> too much over songs that had no place for it), and have now found
> that I have TWO bands I REALLY enjoy, Monk AND Over the Rhine, rather
> than one band that sounded like it was trying to be two.  I'm also
> one of the folks that was at Emery Christmas '95 who already had
> thought that Gordon Jack Henderson would make a great addition to the
> band.  I've been to a LOT of GREAT, and poor Otr shows, but the two
> best have been Emery '95, and Cornerstone '98 -- one with the old
> band (and Jack sitting in, too), and one with the newer line-up.
> Let's keep in mind, for one, Terri is still supposedly in the band --
> why she has not shown up to the past few shows is beyond me, but
> Linford seems to be expecting to begin playing out with her again
> soon, so the lovely backing vocals (which I believe adds a whole
> other dimension to Otr) are not gone.  Secondly, lets keep in mind
> that they just lost one of the most tasteful drummers in music -- I
> will indeed miss Brian with everything in me, but I must say that I
> think once they settle on someone else and get rehearsed, they COULD
> regain momentum -- it may take a while...Linford has been playing
> with Brian since...oh...whenever they joined Servant...was that '86?
> It may take a while to regain that sort of "gel" between musicians,
> but it is possible.  Being a musician, I'm impressed they could even
> pull off such a show without a drummer -- it would be hard.  And,
> lastly -- I've seen moments of great genius with G. Jack, and am
> proud that he's a member -- it would likely make me angriest if he
> left than anything else, but I do realize that many folks disagree
> with me on that one.  So -- I'm excited to see what happens in the
> future -- excited to hear the next Over the Rhine c.d. (and not to
> expect it to sound just like one of the others they've ALREADY
> released), and the next Monk c.d. (we're expecting that soon, too!)
> I think we'll all be suprised.
>
> Now, I wonder what Bruce Cockburn's "Breakfast in New Orleans, Dinner
> in Timbucktu" will be like when IT comes out in a few DAYS!
> Life is cool.
>
> amen,
>
> mr. shannon lee lewis
> SLEWIS at libris_libs.uga.edu
> "The orthodox Christian has paid a very heavy price,
>  both in the defense and communication of the gospel,
>  for his failure to think and act as an educated
>  person understanding, and at war with, the uniformity
>  of our modern culture."
>   --Francis A. Schaeffer, The God Who Is There
> [...]

Resist zero population growth. There are enough zeros in the world
already.