Fwd: the need for a rhythm section (was Re: Thoughts on OtR...)

scott sent this to me, but i think he meant to reply to the entire list...

oh, and scott, thanks for your reply...

*hugz and kisses*
jessyka

-- BEGIN included message

>===== Original Message From JLuvzMusyk at aol_com =====
>Kyle said:
>
>> > And of course their recent insistence on
>>  > playing mostly as a trio without a drummer or a bassist
>>  > hasn't helped their case any.
>
>and Chris Emery responded:
>
>>  You can't go on forever without a rhythm section.
>
>an interesting point brought up in my music therapy orientation class this
>morning.
>
>rhythm is more important than melody...for you can have rhythm without
>melody, but can you have melody with rhythm? (no matter how obscure that
>rhythm may be).
>
>i think the reason why the rhythm section got so much attention (besides the
>fact that brian is absolutely amazing...) is because rhythm is something that
>we feel from before the time we were born in the heartbeat of our mothers
>into the time that we die.  everyone has a constant rhythm to them, including
>the way they walk, the way they talk, the way they breathe, etc.
>
>i think i hate being a music therapy major.  i'm becoming way too critical
>about this sort of stuff.  at the concert all i could do was watch karin play
>the guitar and think, "wow, professor purse would be upset at the way her
>left hand is positioned."
>
>i still like the band.  but TWHF is my favorite cd, followed closely by
>Patience.
>
>just some thoughts....

Your example of feeling rhythm before we were born is a good one. But it also
points out that a drummer/percussionist is not necessary for rhythm. Linford
and Karin both have a rhythm whether they are playing with a full band or if
it's just the two of them doing something - which by the way, would still be
better than 90% of the music that is out there today.