Moonlight Gardens Revisited

This is one of those rare moments each year when I step forth from the
lurking shadows to give a few thoughts about the band.  I’ve been to more
OTR shows now than can be counted on fingers and toes and I consider myself
lucky to have been able to follow the evolution of the group over the years.
  I have loved them, been infuriated with them, loved them, been......well,
you get the picture.  Feelings change and change again as time passes.

I was fortunate enough to attend the Moonlight Gardens show last night – my
third OTR show at that venue (I missed last year due to completely
insurmountable events).  It really did turn out to be one of those magical
evenings.  First, if you don’t know it, Moonlight (in my opinion) is the
most beautiful outdoor concert venue in Cincinnati.  It is the perfect place
for OTR to play.

I was surprised to see seats covering the beautiful stone floor when I
arrived, but we adapted and were able to get seats on the “aisle” about 2/3
of the way back from the stage.  It was a good view. Niki Buehrig put on a
good show and was worth seeing.  Darkness fell just before OTR came on (what
timing) and the big (or little?) dipper could been seen in the starry sky
directly above the stage.  I’m not kidding about this – those observant ones
among this list may be able to back me up.   :)

OTR came onto the stage almost on time – so very close in fact that I was
not ready yet (they aren’t known for being punctual at these things...heh).
I settled down with a cold beer and things started.  I’ll leave the setlist
to someone else here, but they did work in most of my favorites...actually
both of my two favorites (Bothered, then June in an encore later), so I was
happy.

Karen’s voice was in rare form...I think here articulation has improved a
great deal over the past year (which has been a perennial complaint, if
there could be any, about her performances from some people).  She sounded
great – so did the others for that matter.  An outfit called Thunderbolt
sound was working the boards and they really did do a good job.  Everything
was load and clear.  Karen talked a lot throughout the evening and Linford
read a short poem, which was fun.  One of the cowboy junkies (can’t remember
his name) was sitting in on harmonica, mandolin, and shakers.  He was good.
Oh, for the record – Terri WAS there.  Brian WAS NOT.  I was only surprised
about the Terri part – didn’t expect her there either for some reason (in
other words, the lineup didn’t change to the degree I thought it might since
the Bogart’s show).  They did a new twist on Jack's Valentine, which was
cool also.  Ok, it was more than a twist...much more, but I'll let someone
else reveal that part.   :)

So, the experiment continues.  I haven't been a big fan of the experiment
(the whole Rich...and maybe Brian loss you know), but it produced fruit last
night.  The band also said that they were going to mingle throughout the
crowd after the show, but we could not stay.  Hopefully someone else here
had the chance to speak with them and can offer some good info.  I did see a
few familiar faces and heard a few listee names whispered in secluded
corners, so I know many of you were there.  You saw a great show.  If you
are only able to see 2 OTR shows in a given year, make it the Moonlight show
and the Christmas show (back by popular demand this year!).

Excellent job by the band last night.  I think everyone was impressed and it
was one of my favorites in a long time.

Oh, speaking of the Christmas show – They band didn’t give any concrete info
about it (as Linford alluded they might in his last post to the list),
unless you read a lot into those additional lines at the end of “Circle of
Quiet” (anyone catch on to this?).  Supposed to be something interesting
though...I have a guess.  Maybe they gave some info late in the night when
they visited the crowd (anyone?).

Take care,

-Dave