Coney Island/pre + post party.

THIS IS HUGE.  I MAKE NO APOLOGIES.  IT CONTAINS INFO ON WHAT TO DO THIS
WEEKEND IF YOU'RE COMING INTO TOWN, INFO FROM DREW ON SATURDAY'S PREPARTY,
INFO ON SUNDAY'S POST PARTY.

Aaah, Cincinnati.

I don't know why I like the town so much, but I really do.  I think it's
because it feels like a small town, with lots of city things to do.  Mt
Adams, Mt Lookout, Hyde Park, MainStrasse, Blue Ash, Wyoming, etc., all feel
like little towns that retain individual identities, with no real city feel
to them.

The only real area to avoid are those west of Central Ave near downtown;
there isn't much going on out there and I wouldn't want to walk around there
after sunset.  Parts of downtown and Over-the-Rhine (north of 7th, for a
half mile or so) can be dodgy but are OK for pedestrians and cars with
people in them (parked cars are fair game).  This is the area where Emory
Theater and Kaldi's are, so if you've parked there before it's no worse.

Hopefully those who had requested it have received the limited edition info
packet.  Additional things going on this weekend or I'm personally
recommending:

* Mainstrasse Oktoberfest, all weekend.  Mainstrasse is a cute little
collection of streets, very German in heritage, and the Oktoberfest is
always a great time.  In Covington KY just across the 75/71 bridge from
Cincinnati.  Take the first exit (5th Street) South of the Ohio River, take
a left at the exit.  The first road you can turn Right on is Mainstrasse,
and it will probably be shut down for the fest.  Park accordingly.

* Cincinnati Art Museum.  Free to all every Saturday.  Worth at least a
stroll through.  American Impressionist John Twachtman is the special
exhibit.  Don't pay the cash for that though, unless it REALLY interests
you.

* Cincinnati Reds vs. Florida Marlins.  The cheapest major league ball park
in the world.  Pay to get the $4 Red seats at the counter, find yourself a
better Green seat.  Friday at 7:05 and Sunday afternoon at 1:15.

* Art Deco.  Cincinnati is home to two of the nation's best surviving
examples of this architecture.  The Omni Netherland/Carew Tower Complex
(downtown, #5 on the maps) has a great open restaurant/lounge and was the
tallest building in the world when it was complete.  It has an observation
deck at the top of it's measly 49 stories for $1.50, open 'til 5PM (extended
hours are possible, but I'm unsure).  The Museum Center (#11 on map) is
AMAZING, home to lots of mediocre museums and an Omnimax theatre.  The
entrance rotunda inside is quite nice, and tours can be arranged relatively
easily.

* Cincinnati Chili.  There are just at 300 chili parlors in the United
States.  Over 100 of them are in Cincinnati.  The majority of it is Greek
style, with beef replacing lamb in the regular recipe.  It's odd but LOVED
by most Cincinnatians.  I recommend Skyline as the best in-town chain (and
there's one by Drew's Saturday park excursion).  It's messy though.  And
served on pasta with cheddar cheese on top.

* Spring Grove Cemetery.  It's crazy how big and peaceful this place is.
It's just an inch and a half (!) above the downtown white box on the map, at
Spring Grove Road and Winton road.  Enter on Spring Grove.
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/4888/cems/sprngrv.html

* Taft Museum.  I've never been there, but I've only heard great things
about it; it's an art museum in what was at one time future US President
Taft's house.  Downtown.  316 Pike St.

Weather:
Estimated at 5PM from USA Today's site.  This area of the country is a
difficult area to predict, so check again just before travel if you are that
concerned about it.

FRIDAY: Skies should be partly cloudy. The high temperature will be 72
degrees Fahrenheit (22 degrees Celsius), and the overnight low will be 54
degrees Fahrenheit (12 degrees Celsius).

SATURDAY: Look for clear skies. The high temperature will be 75 degrees
Fahrenheit (24 degrees Celsius), and the overnight low will be 45 degrees
Fahrenheit (7 degrees Celsius).

SUNDAY: Expect cloudy skies. The high temperature will be 81 degrees
Fahrenheit (27 degrees Celsius), and the overnight low will be 45 degrees
Fahrenheit (7 degrees Celsius).

SATURDAY'S PRESHOW PARTY:
The party will be at Stanberry Park in Mt. Washington, a suburb of
Cincinnati. The park was chosen because it is very close (about 3
miles) to Moonlight Gardens and because it is near several restaurants
and stores to get food, drinks, and supplies...

The party will start around 3:00 on Saturday, September 11. To get to
the park from NORTH of Cincinnati:

Follow I-71 SOUTH to I-471 SOUTH (exit #1J).

Once over the bridge into Kentucky, travel about 4 miles and take exit
#1A, 275 EAST (left lane exit). Follow 275 EAST across another bridge
(back into Ohio!) and take exit #72, KELLOGG AVENUE/NEW RICHMOND.

At the end of the exit, turn RIGHT onto KELLOGG AVENUE. Turn LEFT at
the next light onto SUTTON ROAD (look to your right as you make the
turn -- you're looking at Coney Island). Travel up SUTTON for about
3.3 miles. Turn LEFT onto OXFORD ROAD. Stanberry Park is on the left,
about a block down.

We'll be somewhere near the front of the park, or there will be signs
pointing to where we are.

There are restaurants (Wendy's, Gold Star, Hardees, etc) nearby, as
well as a Quickie Mart (hi Apu!) so you don't need to bring supplies
with you if you want to buy stuff there.

SUNDAY'S PARTY:
10AM - 2PM or so.  Food will be there.  Bring some more food to share if
you're close and so inclined.  Bring some beverages if ya want.  Come one,
come all, let me know privately how many.  b_lachey at hotmail_com

From points North:
Take I75 to exit 10.  Turn Right (West) on Galbraith Road.  Follow it for
about 3-4 miles until you pass under Reagan/Cross County Highway.  Continue
with "general directions" below.

From points South:
Take I75 to exit 10 (Reagan/Cross County Highway, West).  Take the first
exit: "Winton/Galbraith Road".  Turn left.  Continue with "general
directions" below.

From points East:
Take Reagan/Cross County Hwy West to "Winton/Galbraith Road" exit.  Turn
left.  Continue with "general directions" below.

From points West:
You get on 74 S at Indianapolis.  It "hooks up" with the Cincinnati beltway,
275.  When 275 branches off from 74, take 275 North or East (the one marked
"To Dayton")  After just a few miles, there's a SMALL rightside exit that
says something along the lines of "Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway".
Take that.  Follow it 8 or so miles.  Pass the "Winton Road" exit, but stay
on Cross County.  Take the "Galbraith Road" exit.  Turn Right.  Continue
with "general directions" below.

General directions:
In 200 meters or LESS, take the first Left (into Central Park condo
complex).  Wind through the beautiful hills and take the first Left again.
Go up the hill and immediately to your left is the community building.
We're in there.  To get a feel for it, I'm nearby 7770 Fancycab Ct, zip is
45231 if you have an up to date map program.  Phone is 513.522.6119 at my
place.

Bruce