Fred Rambles

Hiya.

Aaron B said:
>Muncie?!?  Eeewwww!!!  Sorry, man.  Muncie's bad enough when you're
>lively and fresh,  never mind the fact that you'll likely be pushing a
60-70+
>hour work week before gracing that wonderful little shit-town (I lived
there 2
>1/2 years, I feel qualified to judge the joint...).  The Ball State
campus area is just
>barely excluded from that judgement.  Just barely.

Was this meant for me?  I lost a thread, I think.  Where the %$#@ is my
thread?  Can we get a thread over here?!  Ponderous man!  Just %$#@
ponderous.

Has anyone ever heard that Negativland "U2" song with all the Casey Kasem
cussin' parts?  If so, you got that.  If not.  Umm.  Okay, you're not
missing much, but you didn't get my joke.  For what it's worth.

www.negativland.com is interesting on copyright law and has a bunch of
funny cool random sound pastiche things.  The book called "The Story of
the Letter U and the Numeral 2" is really funny, too, if you can find it.
 You catch a lot of people being hypocritical in memos that Negativland
made public.  You see, they made this song, and everybody sued 'em.
Island records, Gregg Ginn who used ot be in Black Flag.  And Casey Kasem
threatened.  I can't explain.  Too tired.

But anyway, Muncie.  You're right.  Muncie should suck.  But it doesn't.
There is no explanation.  I've never experienced community like I'm
experiencing it here.  Surrounded by good people.  Good support.  I think
God's in it.  That's all.

Plus, at least we have the Heorot.

But, sheesh, we could use a good coffee shop.

But we have good coffee at my church.  That's so weird.  See how nothing
makes sense here?  If I go to church I can get a kickin' shot of
espresso, etc etc.  If I go to the MT Cup, which is now the only
village-area coffee shop, I MIGHT get a good cup of coffee.  Maybe.  What
is that?

Edward Jay said of the art of Rhetoric:

>it is the horned devil that wanders about
>tying ornate ribbon to the toes of its tenants
>mere seconds before the flames lick blood.

Good heavens.

Language rises up to eat itself.  :)

Aren't haikus supposed to come in a 5-7-5 pattern?

Okay.  Clearly not concentrating.  Must stop trying.

For those of you who asked whether I meant "Stopping by Woods . . ." was
tired in the sense of over-played or tired in this sense of expressing
weariness, I meant the latter, though the former applies often.  In high
school, though, and in some college lit classes.  Not in the world at
large.  I think RF has been harmed by over exposure, but not everywhere.
He's not the backstreet boys or something.

I'm trying to hang pictures on the walls of my new apartment.  I have to
wait until they tell me where they go.  If only they had better
communication skills.  Some are suggesting that they need frames, which I
can't afford.  But one of my many great artist friends here in Muncie
(which should suck but doesn't) says he'll help me build some if I buy
materials.  So I'll do that.

Where have all the merrymakers gone?

I'm listening to "13" by Blur.  I think it's one of those 5-listen
albums.  I'm on number two and it got better.  I'm gonna let it breathe.
Let it tell me how to listen to it.  If only it had better communication
skills.  Maybe it's a 13-listen album; after the thirteenth, I'll love it
forever.  Maybe that's what the title means; maybe that's it.

The fact that human beings use rhetoric is almost indistinguishable from
the fact that they are human beings.

And walls and musical recordings are not human.  They don't talk.  I
swear.

I'll be at the Heorot tonight, if anyone cares to join me.  Walnut Plaza,
across from the NBD/Bank One building.  Muncie.  Who woulda thought?

Need beer.  Must go.

Fred