Rhetoric.

Alfred has a fun task at hand ~
> I have work to do.  I must define rhetoric.
> ?Heck of a way to spend an afternoon, huh?

On this late afternoon of September first, 1999,
I gladly read your post on this, the Over the Rhine
discussion list and consider for a moment the
wonderful topics that are presented here in this forum.
After considering this matter of rhetoric...

(insert other meaningless yet unifying hoo-rah text here,
and for another five paragraphs)

...how did i do?

don't know if this will help your studies,
but here's my take on rhetoric ~

it is the horned devil that wanders about
tying ornate ribbon to the toes of its tenants
mere seconds before the flames lick blood.

it is the man afraid of specifics yet determined
to -appear- to take a stand nonetheless.

it is safety in lavish ambiguity.

it is the lover with rotted teeth
and puffy ulcerated skin
wrapped in fine silken sheets of gold.

it is a necessary skill for me to implement
in my work from time to time.
(goes along with the true definition of tact:
telling someone to go to hell in such a way
that they anticipate the trip.)

(and the last syllable of it is also the first name
of the former OtR/current Monk guitarist -
so there's my OtR content for the day.)

ejh2

NP: Einsturzende Neubauten - _Ende Neu_

"We make out of the quarrel with others, rhetoric,
but of the quarrel with ourselves, poetry."
W. B. Yeats
<<(\,- Sir Edward Jay, the Second ov Harnish -,/)>>
    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ICQ #13819982   ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
          http://members.aol.com/jaharnish2