Re: Re: college discoveries

In a message dated 8/26/99 4:45:43 PM, gibby at one_net wrote:

>No the Goth classification for the Cure,  Sioxiue, did not exist then but the
>term gothic as a destinct music type sprung up around 1984. The 1980's term
>gothic has very little to do with the 1990's term gothic. Gothic had more to
>with a Germanic "March our skinheads to battle in Valhalla" kind of thing it
>was, more Grandiose and "Conan the Barbarian" than depressing, Think Carl
>Orf's "O Fortuna" the first part of Carmina Burana as the classical gothic
>sound. The Depressed vampire look and feel was just called alternative or
>rebeatnik depending on where you were from and or you age. Gothic didn't have
>a look. Somehow the alternative beatnik look got coined as gothic and any
>music that was associated with that look is now called gothic.
>As far as 90's gothic, its be around since the late '70s. As far as 80's
>gothic or shall I (call it goth classic) it was around since about 1985. I
>think the Key players of that classic goth style was Sisters of Mercy. I
>think Rammstien carries on that Classic Goth sound although they are
>considered industrial.

Er...I'm not so sure about all this. I mean, the first wave of Goth was
really around 1980, give or take a few. Here in my trusty SOM "Some Girls
Wander By Mistake," the first single, "The Damage Done," is listed at 1980.
And you also had Bauhaus, too. Most would consider them the founding fathers
of Goth. And there was a definite look to it then, which has remained.

As for "O, Fortuna," you KNOW that was the big techno hit for Apotheosis many
a year later, ironically enough. I'm sure Carl Orff was spinning in his grave
like a Dremel-- I know his estate was. At any rate, I'm not sure what you
mean about the skinheads comment. I'd say Goth started more as very dark rock
with a morbid, poetic bent. I'd also say the "orchestral" and synth-driven
qualities were also there from the beginning and have never gone away. Such
type Goth is still around today, in Rosetta Stone and, I'm told, Suspiria--
it's just not the be-all-and-end-all. But there have always been bands with a
Gothic sensibility who didn't espouse that huge, choral, orchestral
church-like sound. Which is another thing that hasn't changed-- variety. For
instance, Bauhaus--> Tones On Tail--> Love & Rockets never, to my knowledge,
delved deep into the Big Dark Classical Goth mode, but they certainly got
grouped in with Goth. It's a very broad definition.

So bacially, I'm saying I think Goth's been around in an evolving form since,
say, 1980, but not as several completely different genres. And if you think
early Goth isn't depressing, go listen to "Bela Lugosi's Dead" a few hundred
more times. Remove all sharp objects from the vicinity beforehand.