Re: OtR and Capital Records news

Creole1239 at aol_com wrote:
>This is from the www.TRUETUNES.com:
>
>This hasn't been 100 % confirmed, but the rumblings are that Over the Rhine
>has elected not to sign with Capitol Records and will remain in the indie
>world a little longer yet. They expect to release a new studio record
>independently in the fall and will be launching a new web site shortly.
Watch
>this space for news of the site launch as they'll be giving away free mp3
>samplers to the first batch of visitors.

hmmm... I think they might be taking Linford's words of putting a new album
out in the fall and starting a new webpage to mean "remaining indie."
Linford said that they'd put this album out whether signed or not
(something about putting out albums "hand over fist" until they sign), and
building a new webpage... well, that's not a sign of staying indie
(necessarily).  I guess we can wait to find out.  My thoughts is that True
Tunes *might* be jumping the gun, though...

As for staying indie, I think that would be cool.  Either way is cool with
me, but I think there's more of a chance for more OtR music to be put out
if they stay indie... Seriously- this fall album will be the second OtR
album this year (plus Linford's solo CD).  That wouldn't happen if they
were on a label.

They'd have complete control of the music, complete control of the
timeframe for releases, complete control.  No matter what any label says
about "letting the artist be the artist," it still shifts a lot of control
from the band to the label.

What they really need is a distributor (maybe a big indie like RED), and
maybe a PR/radio person... who knows...

All I know is I don't know.  Either way is cool with me...

Dan

NP: Fantomas - Amenaza al Mundo

+- Dan Temmesfeld     Galactic Cowboys on the Web -+
    dantemm at erinet_com    http://www.dlm.net/gc/
   "Take it from our drummer 'Puff'... being good-
+-           it gets you stuff!!"   FNM           -+