a moon full enough for the junkiest of cowboys.

hello comrades and lurkers,

on Wednesday night i saw the Cowboy Junkies perform
amidst a glorious full moon, and down close to the horizon
there were periodic warm bursts of heat lightning.

location: Rochester Hills, Michigan,
almost an hour north of Detroit.

i'll start with a later evening conversation,
then i'll try my best to keep it all neat an' orderly like:

i had the great pleasure of meeting Margo
at the merchandise booth after the show, so one of the first
things i did was congratulate her on her wonderful taste
in guest bandmates. she replied that she doesn't ever
want to tour without Linford and Karin again, and that she's
considering breaking up Over the Rhine to make that a reality.

     (insert dramatic low-chord piano music here, please.)

there was an awkward silence, and she must've seen my red
eyes glowing, the corner of my mouth twitching with salivation, my...

             (no, that doesn't quite work now, does it.)

or, maybe it was something more akin to her and i
immediately laughing and me patting her elbow.
                                              yes, that was it.

that was all.

              ~ random mentionings ~
i went alone and ended up buying a spare ticket
from a group at the entrance - a pavilion ticket
for the price of a lawn seat. that made me happy.

i wish Miss Godlove could've been there.

i had just settled into my seat when a supplier
of my company's sat down beside me to say hello.
he took me over to meet his daughter and all that...
it's hard for me to escape my work completely.
it -was- good to see that a girl my age has succeeded
in making her father into a fan of the Cowboy Junkies...

                  ~ the performance ~
this is the second time i've seen the Junkies,
and they put on a great show. next to Tori, she's
the most personable performer i've seen. she told
told stories about the tour, like how when they went
shopping in Indianapolis, all she ended up buying
was a salad tosser. and how she found out that her
(drummer) little brother Peter had been cheating in
Scrabble the past couple days.

since i don't know their songs well at all, the only
songs that stick in my mind are Common Disaster,
Sweet Jane, If You Have to Leave, Leave Now
(or something like that, it's a Dylan cover and on
their new cd), and the next-to-last song they
performed. i don't know the title, but it was gorgeous -
very mystical and enchanting. the lyrics i remember
are "i wish i had a blue guitar..."
by that time, i was at the back ridge of the lawn,
and the moon was fully out. good song for a clove.

                           ~ after ~
line formed at the merchandise booth, i was near
the front. our man Linford was the first to come up
over the hillside, and i gave him the "yay Linford!"...
i'm glad he perked right up and came over to chat,
because i was dyin' inside to leave him with more
than just cliche's. he asked me how the tribute cd
was coming along, and seemed to be a mixture
of enthusiastic and amused when i told him i'm
doing an electro-terror industrial version of Murder.

he's pretty good at doing that.

i wanted to tell him that i really think we'll be ok.

but i didn't.

as i said earlier, i got to meet Margo and she
signed their new new cd that i'd just aquired.
she's super cool, very nice lady, very charming.

i walked out to one of the few cars left on the grass
after a quarter mile walk and drove away, staring at
the moon the entire time.

a good evening was had, and it was obvious to me
that the main reason i'd gone is for the opportunity
to see Linford and Karin again.

good night all,

jay

NP: Over the Rhine - _Good Dog Bad Dog_

"The devil's brand is on my bones,
an' from inside the Holy Ghost groans"
David Eugene Edwards - 16 hp
<<(\,- Sir Edward Jay, the Second ov Harnish -,/)>>
    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ICQ #13819982   ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
          http://members.aol.com/jaharnish2