Independence Day

I was guess what angered me most about Amy Romania's response to DM's
original post was the way in which it ridiculed another person's
opinions. One can respond without resulting to insulting and bigoted
statements under the guise of calling them Christian.
	Advocating a "government church" is hardly a Christian ideal.
Being a Christian myself, I was under the impression that God and CHrist
wanted true believers with a genuine faith, not a bunch of hypocrites
taking part in a religion that was legislated to them.
	In addition, advocating laws that are inherently "christian" DOES
infringe on the rights of those of us who are not Christian.  These hurt
and oppress all of the Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, etc,
amongst us.  To believe that one has the right to legislate such laws is
extremely bigoted.  I would have the same problems with any legislation
that was inherently Jewish, or Muslim, or Buddhist, or Pagan, etc....
Bigotry is bigotry no matter where it comes from or to whom it is
directed.
	Regarding flag burning, I've already stated my opinions on this
topic in an earlier post.  Yes, flag burning is currently LEGAL - thanks
to the Supreme Court who struck down which had previously  banned flag
burning. This is why there has been the recent push to pass the
amendment.  The only way to make such a law legal is by physically adding
it to the Constitution.
	Besides, even if it were currently illegal to burn a flag, that
still would not make that legislation any more just.  Segregation was
once legal, but certainly did not make it just.
	OUr government was founded by and is composed of human beings.
It is therefore inherently riddled with faults.  But, as free thinking,
educated adults, it is our duty to correct these faults.  Making flag
burning illegal was a fault. THose of us who disagreed with it fought it
all the way to the Supreme Court, and won.  If it were to be made a
constitutional amendment it would be that many times harder to fight.
********

	"LOL. I wonder whom you claim to be *your* creator."

THis is perhaps one of the most insulting statement that I have heard in
a long time.  How dare you presume to ridicule another person's faith;
one that he hold just as dearly (if not more so) then the one you do?
Whether or not you agree with his faith, belittling and mocking it is
certainly not a very Christian way of making a point!
	If the way that you belittle, ridicule, and mock people who hold
a different faith then you is considered a "Christian attitude", then I
pray to God *never* to be "blessed" with such an attitude.

jen

I am no mermaid,
and I am no fisherman's slave,
I am no mermaid,