Re: Something to talk about...

In a message dated 6/7/99 10:14:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
trishperry at juno_com writes:

> Thanks for the quick response, Chris and <everyone>.  Pardon my
>  ignorance. I don't have my dictionary handy...what is a "vellum" cover?
>  I'm one of those people who had to buy the naked cds (no lyrics
>  included).

hello Trish, and good morning ~

Jay here: CAD design engineer, calligrapher, former draftsman.
Jay likes vellum. alot.

true vellum is a fine parchment made from calfskin,
lambskin, or kidskin and used for the pages and
binding of books. you will only find this material in
the hands of the master artisan,
as it is quite costly and rare.

however, in our practical world of consumerism,
vellum is a heavy off-white fine-quality paper
resembling this parchment.

lastly - for drafting purposes and in the case of
the TWHF cover (no, i don't have the cover either -
but i do remember it well), vellum is a much thinner
translucent paper that is more white than golden or
off-white in colour.
we CAD guys frequently plot our work on vellum so
that it can be easily reproduced on a blueprint machine.
(when most folk say "vellum", they really mean THIS stuff.)

alright, it's Tuesday morning after a twelve hour
night's sleep and darn, i'm feeling sharp.

any more questions?
try something a little tougher next time.

sleep is a wonderful thing.

jay

NP: Velvet Underground - Heroin.mp3

"You don't need an excuse to hug & smooch beautiful women. They deserve it."
-Chris Emery 1999
<{---o<(\,- Sir Edward Jay, the Second ov Harnish -,/)>--o---}>
	^v^	^v^	^v^	ICQ #13819982	^v^	^v^	^v^
          http://members.aol.com/jaharnish2