Re: Star Wars... It's not the hype

>I bought a kid's book at the supermarket a couple weeks ago:  "I Am A
Jedi,"
>by Qui-Gon Jinn.  Cool, right?  A friend pointed out this weekend how scary
>it is that George Lucas is selling what amounts to false religion to our
>10-year olds (or our 5, 4 and 3 year olds, for that matter).  The book is
>laid out like a very simple primer to the "Jedi" religion, explaining the
>force, the council, the Dark Side and the Good Side, the importance of
>apprenticeship, etc., etc.  All on about 15 pages of 8 by 8 glossy paper.

here comes the christian witch hunt, shall we burn george lucas at the stake
for heresy?  how did we go from "I am a jedi" to false religion?!  Its a
kids book about the code of jedi, which is somewhat honorable, and a kid can
do  far worse.  at least here, we are not talking about if not
advocatingmass murders (drowning) of a entire planet thru a whim and incests
on a bibilical scale as viable options.  plus a lot of the jedi code is
heavily based in eastern philosophies and religions, which are not big on
intolerance and do not mark any dissention as "false religion" and advocate
kill all those who do not believe in your ways.   but i guess you'd want to
burn those heretics too.

>Is Yoda God?  Do kids know the difference?

is there a difference?
plus yoda never claimed himself to be god or even remotely omniscient for
that matter, nor did anyone from lucas arts once mentioned that yoda might
be somewhat related to any deity.

>It's sometimes difficult to remember that a popular myth can be
misunderstood by a >child to be a kinof reality-- especially since sometimes
we ourselves can't distinguish
>between the two.

right, look at how popular christianity is.  why? because kids were told
from day one that its true.  conditioning from birth, free will my ass.  its
about time for some competition