Re: (Fwd) Re: Star Wars... It's not the hype

In a message dated 05/17/1999 6:34:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mmcvey at uic_edu writes:

> n contrast, Star Wars style violence is exactly the kind that does
>  not provoke tough questions, or demand empathy, or understanding,
>  that has no ironies. And it is a kind that we, as a country, no
>  longer feast upon by merely watching movies. We have the likes of the
>  Gulf War, Libya, and Kosovo, presented to us as infotainment which we
>  can enjoy while our fighter pilots kick foreign ass. And in the
>  future if the Republicans get their way, while our own "Star Wars"
>  missle defense protects us from nuclear retribution from any of the
>  many countries we offend so frequently.

I hate to nitpick about politics when everyone else is so worked up about a
movie (You'd think that I, as a former film student, would care more about
the film, wouldn't you?  Perhaps if Kurosawa had directed "Star Wars"...  ;)
), but your characterization of Republicans as being the ones who want to
deploy a "Star Wars"/SDI system is a few years behind the times.  These days,
it's the Democrats who are agitating for just such a defense.  Frankly, as
someone who doesn't really want to have to die any sooner than necessary, I
don't care whose idea it is if a functional missile defense system can be
developed.

Steve
oncleboo at aol_com

np:  OtR MP3s, courtesy of Chris' Funky FTP Site (or whatever it is he calls
it...)

"I alternate between fantasy and the cold hard truth, I oscillate between the
cool and the uncouth; but I resonate to the piercing eyes of God I sought in
my youth." -- The 77's